Why become a member? ×

Which Fender J do you prefer - '63, '64, '65, '71

molan

All very delightful and desirable instruments, and well out of my price range. However, it will have to be a birth year decision, so the '65 gets my vote. It also has a certain mojo about it, with 47 years of wear. Just like me ;) lol

If I'm still around and on here in 20 years or so, I will post my 2009 Highway One Jazz and someone will say "that's my birth year!"
Do I feel old? :)

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1350895306' post='1844646']
Snappy, growly '63 (or '64) any day. Don't like gloss necks on basses.
[/quote]

The '64 has a gloss neck refinish (unfortunately).

Ttrued them all through the little MarkBass LMII plus MB 210 today and it made quite a difference compared to the B15.

The '71 wasn't really at the races without a lot of bass boost. Neck still feeling nice and getting used to those tiny mandolin frets.

'65 a bit livelier and brighter, really nice all round sound with the extra edge coming from the modern MB combination (in the interests of comparison, and my sanity, I kept all amp controls flat!).

The '64 began to sound a trifle flabby in the low end. Still very nice but not as good a match as the B15. The gloss neck and jumbo frets not as easy to work with.

'63 just killed :). Still had a great low end punch and plenty of snarl without ever sounding thin or brittle. This one definitely seems to be the overall winner in terms of tone and playability for me with the '65 now edging ahead of the '64.