Why become a member? ×

Guitar sound for Bass!!

vicar

Right, I know this sounds mad but.................................

When I played in a Punk Band in the late 70's my stage set-up was to play through an H/H 100 watt Guitar head
using two H/H PA 15" speaker cabs with Bass reflex ports. This, with my Peavey T-40, gave me the J.J. Burnel sound I wanted.

As the main songwriter for the band, when I was writing stuff, I used the "sustain" switch on the H/H to distort my Bass (much like a "Fuzz Box" pedal which was very popular at the time) in order to 'knock-on' and write stuff with a near-as guitar sound as possible.

What would be the equivalent to achieve that now?

I don't have the "sustain" switch on my Ashdown 130 watt Bass combo (that I used to have on the H/H amp) so I suppose I would be looking at something like the old "Fuzz Box" pedal to give me that effect.

Any suggestions guys?

Many thanks

Vicar

There are stacks of fuzz boxes out there that will do the job, especially as you don't sound like you'll need one that will leave the bass intact.

An EHX Big Muff is easily picked up cheaply and will do the job, though I wouldn't say that fuzz is necessarilly what you want if you're looking to nail JJ's sound.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1350237796' post='1836166']
There are stacks of fuzz boxes out there that will do the job, especially as you don't sound like you'll need one that will leave the bass intact.

An EHX Big Muff is easily picked up cheaply and will do the job, though I wouldn't say that fuzz is necessarilly what you want if you're looking to nail JJ's sound.
[/quote]

What do you mean by leaving the bass intact? The sound? I dont want it sound like JJ. Please read post again. Many thanks. Vicar

Edited by vicar

• 2 weeks later...

From all the fuzz pedals i have had, they tend to keep if not add to the bottom end imo. I play a Les Paul bass through a T-Rex Moller and Boss DS-1. When switched to the bridge pickup with both these pedals on and playing chords it sounds like a guitar. Like the biggest high gain stack you have ever heard. Dunno if thats what you are looking for?

Big muffs inherent mid scoop makes it bad for guitaryness, because guitar is importantly midrange, where the mid is made prominent by the speakers even if cut elsewhere. Probably better with a Fuzzface clone, see the Mooen thread lots of options cheaply there. I like the Marshall Guvnor, which am fairly sure the rage pedal by Mooen, black with red writing is supposed to be. Sansamp GT2 is the really good one though.