Why become a member? ×

Custom Jazz 5 with Wizards

Chopthebass

This was an experiment to try a set of custom made 5-string version of Wizard 84's. Andy hadn't done these in the standard Jazz case before, so these are a bar-type magnet rather than individual pole pieces. So any string spacing is achievable.

The body is ash, with an unusual dark flame maple top. Neck is Licensed Fender MM neck that has been lacquered and the frets dressed/polished. The MM necks are great, but they do need a bit of work.
All that needs doing is the passive wiring, and a control cover. I'll either finish it or sell a bit cheaper as is.

I have installed 5 knobs, in case someone wants to install an active circuit (3-band). But the plan was to wire it as a standard J-Bass with Vol, Vol, Tone.

It has a side mounted Neutrik locking jack (like Overwater). As it stands at the moment I have no idea how it sounds!
I'm after £500 finished, or £450 as is.
Cheers
Ian

Edited by Chopthebass

Ian,

A real beauty of a J-influenced 5-er I must say. Love the top, the bridge and the pickups - should be a stonker !

If she had a 24-fret neck I would have been snapped the bass from you as soon as soon thing can be.

Unfortunately for you, I just managed to find a Cort Elrick RB5 on E-bay that hopefully is winging its way across the pond as we speak. So that is hopefully going to quench my thirst for a 2-octave 5 string bass.

Have a quilted maple capped bump from me to speed this baby to a new home.........

Bill

I'm sorry not to have seen this earlier but I have been very busy of late.

As a previous customer of Ian's ( He built the bass in my avatar ) I can only say that his work is of the very highest standard. I've been playing Bass and Guitar for 30 odd years and played many different instruments from very cheap to 'oh my God, how much'!!!! And the Bass he's built for me is the best I've played by some margin. He exceeded my expectations and is a great bloke to deal with as well so buy with confidence. If I was looking for a 5 I'd buy it.

I thought I'd put a couple of pics on just to show the standard. Hope you don't mind Ian........

[quote name='zapp' post='196939' date='May 12 2008, 09:53 AM']I'm sorry not to have seen this earlier but I have been very busy of late.

As a previous customer of Ian's ( He built the bass in my avatar ) I can only say that his work is of the very highest standard. I've been playing Bass and Guitar for 30 odd years and played many different instruments from very cheap to 'oh my God, how much'!!!! And the Bass he's built for me is the best I've played by some margin. He exceeded my expectations and is a great bloke to deal with as well so buy with confidence. If I was looking for a 5 I'd buy it.

I thought I'd put a couple of pics on just to show the standard. Hope you don't mind Ian........

[/quote]

Hey thanks for the nice words Dave.
And a pleasure to deal with you Sir.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your timber choices. Tonally and aesthetically superb. We ended up with a big sounding bass with tons of bite.