Why become a member? ×

Thrashed rickenbacker

watton_earth

This bass has been severly abused...

The lower bout of the body near the cavity has been snapped off in the past and reglued badly.

It's been defretted and the fret board has deep gouges.

The binding is cracked and spit everywhere.

The headstock wings are seprating.

Several inlays are cracked.

I like it...

I wanted another old banger that I could keep around the house without fear the wee ones were going to scratch it...So I was just going to seal the body and protect the fret board leaving it fretless. The grains actually quite nice. However...I really like the idea of a white relic'd rick, or a pink one.

Any way...

If I can get a white TRC I'll respray white or pink or some such...If I can get black i'll clear coat it...

Anyone got a Ricky TRC?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350203764' post='1835635']
I don't know much about Rics. Is this a real or a copy? How did it get like that? Bit of history, please? :)
[/quote]

It's listed on the Rick register here:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/viewitem.php?id=27027&bl=%2Fregister%2Findex.php%3Fsearch%3Dtrue%26model%3D39%26strings%3D0%26finish%3D0%26country%3D%26special%3D0%26year%3D%26month%3D%26sn%3D%26celebrity%3D%26butchered%3D1

I assume the chap I bought it from had intended to respray but opted for parting out.

The body has a waxy feel so I wondered if the things been oiled in the past, I asked the seller about the history but he never replied.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am liking the idea of a pink Ric!! Never seen that before...I have a white one myself. Gorgeous custom 'Snowglo' finish done before I bought it. Mine was 'Jetglo' before and the TRC and pickguard had to be returned to Ric for a straight swap?!!?...ie not available to buy and therefore use on a copy....is that still the case? Are truss rod covers available?

[quote name='kenny' timestamp='1351338528' post='1850248']
Hi, I am liking the idea of a pink Ric!! --- Are truss rod covers available?
[/quote]

A pink rick would be unique...But somehow I always forget how lazy, and unskilled I am & how little free time I have before starting these projects...

Might just leave it as is...

TRC's aren't available new from Rickenbacker, to prevent copies. Which means that suckers can pay over 150 pound for a small piece of plastic from ebay...
*slurp*

Need some Rick machine heads ....anyone?

Edited by watton_earth

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

[attachment=146004:IMAG1433.jpg]

come on brain between the 2 of us we can think of something.....

tooth floss! brain you surprize me sometimes, top work fella!

So I worked the glue into the split and the headstock smells minty fresh too mmmmm!

Edited by watton_earth

[attachment=146005:IMAG1474.jpg]

So the next thing I did was to paint polyeurathane onto the neck with several successive coats....It took an age to dry properly.

I did this in the loft, as it was the only space that children and wife dare not go! Unfortunatly somehow tiny pieces of xmas tinsel got embedded into the poly....ummmmm f*ck it! Merry christmas basschat.

Edited by watton_earth