Why become a member? ×

Laney RB4? or something else

Root-Note

Hi, I currently own a Laney RB4 160w amp which I am considering selling for something else, I bought the amp on impulse because I needed one quickly and cost effectively because a gig spung up out of nowhere, I used this amp a few times for a couple of gigs and rehearsals ages ago but since then I have gained some knowledge and appreciation of tone because before that I didn't know or care. The main problem with the amp is the size because it is a complete rectum to carry around and store particularly as our rehearsal/ recording space is tiny, not only that but I find the sound really bad (partly because i'm not very good a EQing) and the gain which gives it the majority of it's volume is terrible, the thing that got my attention was that it was 160w and was powerful so it didn't require miking (which I now realised is an incredibly stupid reason) but to be honest it's not that powerful as I had to crank it all the way up gain and all to get any proper volume. The kind of amp i'm looking for now is one that has a good variable tone and isn't particularly big (it'll be miked up for any gigs we get), probably around 75w but still has power and also in the £200- £300 range. I have been told to avoid Ashdown because they break down easily, and after playing Fenders I don't like them either. If any of you reading this can recommend something that's even just a brand name for me that would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading this.

Mike

Dude depending on the size of your gigs i would never get a 75w amp! Thats just gonna be a practice amp, and for 300-500 quid you'll get something very decent, theres a really nice trace 715x on here at the min.

Always nice to be able to go louder than u need to be also will help the amp as your not pushing it to much.

If you dnt need a big combo maybe look into a 112 combo?

Andy

How about something like this? http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0437479/details.html
I've got the 75 w version and it did well in a big room with acoustic guitar and a crowd of people singing. Doing a little gig for the residents in a care home, the staff came from the other side of the building to find out what all the booming was about.

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1350149607' post='1835241']
715x are an absolute steal at the moment, £1300 new, £350 S/H. Take some work to find your sound but if you like that Trace tone they kick ass
[/quote]

Yep, they`re quite small so not too difficult to cart about - fairly heavy for their size though. Plus, plenty loud enough for most uses.

From the observation about Fender amps, I`d avoid Ampeg. Both have a warm sound, so unlikely Ampeg would fit in with what yu`re after.

Edited by Lozz196