Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fingerboard Radius Question

Dingus

Can anybody explain to me the various merits and drawbacks of flatter versus more rounded fingerboard radius ? Most modern bass designs have a flatter ( often between 9-11 inch ) radius , whereas vintage Fender basses have a 7 1/2 inch radius. If anybody has first- hand experience or knowledge of how different radius affects the feel and playability of a bass I would be interested to hear any opinions , experiences and observations.

Edited by Dingus

The radius doesn't really affect basses a lot, whereas a 7.5" radius on a guitar is a major ball ache!! That's because of picking out arpeggios on the different string heights as you go across the board and string bending up and over the curve. My personal preference is for a 12" radius or a compound radius - if it's too flat it will be slightly uncomfortable if the edges of the fretboard aren't rolled.

What I play now is a flatter , more modern radius , but I was wondering what it would be like to go to a bass with a vintage- spec radius in the 7 1/2 inch region. I have played and owned many basses with that kind of a radius but don't have one like that to hand nowadays to compare and was wondering if it would be a big difference in feel and playability if I were to risk buying one with a more curved fingerboard radius.

I've found through trial and error that I do prefer the flatter fretboards, but not too flat. I think quite a few of the small, high end luthiers offer completely flat fretboards these days (i think both Shuker and ACG do).

Just go with what feels best for you!

My ACG is completely flat, and feels very comfortable and normal to me. Not that I have a problem with radius boards either. It may be just me but it doesn't really affect me. On a regular guitar it makes a big difference, I remember when all those pointy metal guitars were the rage, barred chords could be cramp inducing.

I own several fender vintage basses.
My 60's have rounder fingerboard and thin neck ( thin D shape)
My 70's have flatter fingerboard and rounder neck shape.

When i play, the fingerboard curve doesn't mainly influence my feeling but neck shape MUCH more as i have "little" hands. Actually it is a duo : fingerboard-neck shape.

70's Flatter fingerboard are easier for slapping IMO. That's why modern basses (as you said) are designed with this choice.

60's Rounder FB and thin neck suit my fingerstyle playing.

I hope it helps.

For me it's a big thing. Despite having the opportunity to own Fender Precisions when I started playing in the 60's (and by now having enough value to retire on), I always hated their flatter profile. Feels like playing a plank. I now play a MIJ Westone Thunder III which I love. I just find the more curved radius more playable, and enjoy not feeling the angular edge of the fretboard. It's the main thing that puts me off getting a new bass. I'd say don't underestimate it!

[quote name='Hidden Shallows' timestamp='1350251331' post='1836490']
For me it's a big thing. Despite having the opportunity to own Fender Precisions when I started playing in the 60's (and by now having enough value to retire on), I always hated their flatter profile. Feels like playing a plank. I now play a MIJ Westone Thunder III which I love. I just find the more curved radius more playable, and enjoy not feeling the angular edge of the fretboard. It's the main thing that puts me off getting a new bass. I'd say don't underestimate it!
[/quote] I think you're confusing neck profile and fingerboard radius. As far as I know the early 50's and 60's P basses would have the 7.5 inch radius. The edge of the fretboard being rolled or not isn't going to make a difference

I'm finding the 12" radius fretboard on a Gibson bass is more comfortable for my playing. I used a G&L SB-2 with a 7.5" board, and didn't like it. The Fender 9.5" board was better than the G&L. With the 12" Gibson board being flatter, It's just a bit cleaner moving around on the board. I get to the next notes without the frets being in the way as much.