Why become a member? ×

Fitting a new Jack Socket to a '51' P RI

Donnyboy

The socket on mine is a bit wibbly!
When I bought it off clarky he included a replacement that's got screwholes in - presumably to make it non- wibbly....

Any advise on best way to fit it - before I turn, what i'm sure should be a a simple task, into a disaster zone!

I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Thanks

One problem you might find is I believe the Japanese cup & the jack socket they use is an metric thread/hole size, if the replacement socket you have is a Switchcraft the thread is bigger, if it's a replacement Alpha socket you'll be OK, except they don't last so long, which is why it needs replacing :rolleyes:

I found the standard one to be a pain to fit so I bought the one that has the screwholes and used a switchcraft jack and it fitted. I just drilled a couple of pilot holes before screwing the jack socket onto it so when I did come to put it together it was just a matter of screwing it in

• 4 weeks later...

[i]Sorted - by a Telecaster enthusiast who likes messing about with guitars " Give me your bass and I'll sort out that intonation for you, why don't you get a proper bridge for it?"[/i]
[i]Not sure what he did but socket is very snug- he didn't fit the new one though! [/i]

There is a little springy flange internally on a traditional Tele/'51P-bass socket. He obviously has the knack to get it set the first time. As far as the bridge, the 2-saddle '51 P-bass bridge is like the original 3-saddle Telecaster bridge. Instead of looking back from the present, look forward from the past and see how this was an improvement over a solid bar bridge.

Edited by iiipopes

Fitted one of those to a friend's son's Tele; since he got into the habit of standing the guitar up using the plugged in lead as a prop. Until the day that he nudged the guitar & the jack came away with the socket still on it :rolleyes: .
The Neutrik sockets that Maplin sell for a couple of quid fit very nicely, I put a little dab of thread-lock on it too to try to make it teenager proof.
I think they're a clever but simple idea.

A simple washer can make all the difference to keeping a jack tight. In 1981 my folks purchased a Rick 320 guitar for me. The jack was always working loose. A few years later, I got a small, thin washer the same diameter of the threads and put it between the nut and the jackplate and tightened it. Now, twenty-odd years later, the jack is still secure - it has never needed re-tightening since.