Why become a member? ×

moving heads (lightshow)

EBS_freak

I am considering investing in some moving heads to add to the lightshow of the function band that I am in. Now, given that these are a pricey investment, I want to get it right. Has anybody got any 2-4 moving head setups and care to share any experience or advice with regards to them. I have been checking stuff out on Thomann and on Youtube and to be honest, they all look pretty good... but I want to know more about how good they look on an auto sound to light setting (obv. synched with DMX) because we haven't got a seperate lighting guy to control them and I don't particularly want to go down the programming route for a whole 3 hours worth of material and the synching problems that we would no doubt have playing live.

Edited by EBS_freak

Sound to light with normal fixtures just changes the colour (most of the time), with moving heads it'll do that, but will in addition vary the gobo (light pattern), and the direction of travel.

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like, take a trip to a local nightclub as they almost always use sound to light on everything. It works for constant upbeat music but for music that varies, or is slower in pace, it can be a bit hit and miss as there isn't a 'subtle' option on sound-to-light. With normal lights it'd be alright as they'd just stay on the same colour, but here you'd be left with lights zipping around, spinning and what not. Think cheesy school disco.

So all in all, it depends what type of music you play, as to whether sound-to-light moving fixtures would look good or not.

As for the various makes and models, they will all do exactly the same thing. All that changes with price is how well they do it. You'll notice with cheaper models that they can be quite shaky, and that the colour/gobo change is noticable (you see the thing moving out the way). The motors will be slower, and the output not as bright.

So, what kind of music is it, and what's your budget?

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1349862725' post='1831355']...how good they look on an auto sound to light setting (obv. synched with DMX) because we haven't got a seperate lighting guy to control them...[/quote]
Good afternoon, EBS_Freak (or may I call you EBS..?)...

Given the expense of these, it would be a shame to waste them. As mentionned above, they will work on auto-music, but will not give a convincing effect (imho...) consumate with the cost.
Alternatives..? I used, successfully, for several years, a DMX controller 'Sunlite'. I was controlling the lights with a laptop, but the DMX box was also able to stock 'stand-alone' programmes, set up beforehand (useful for architectual lighting, for instance...). With such a system, you could preset a series of programmes more in line with your set (slow revolving for down-tempo, white fast flash for 'strobo' punk numbers, fixed gobo/colours, or all off, so as not to tire out the public with incessant motion...). This would complement your current system, and give added value, rather than merely adding a 'dumb' effect for effect's sake. It would be easy to access the box from stage, and discretely advance to the next programme.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend moving heads without some kind of control (ideally a lighting tech, of course..!). Some folks like discos, however; I'm quite used to being in the minority.
Just my tuppence worth; hope this helps...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1349868434' post='1831464']
Good afternoon, EBS_Freak (or may I call you EBS..?)...

Given the expense of these, it would be a shame to waste them. As mentionned above, they will work on auto-music, but will not give a convincing effect (imho...) consumate with the cost.
Alternatives..? I used, successfully, for several years, a DMX controller 'Sunlite'. I was controlling the lights with a laptop, but the DMX box was also able to stock 'stand-alone' programmes, set up beforehand (useful for architectual lighting, for instance...). With such a system, you could preset a series of programmes more in line with your set (slow revolving for down-tempo, white fast flash for 'strobo' punk numbers, fixed gobo/colours, or all off, so as not to tire out the public with incessant motion...). This would complement your current system, and give added value, rather than merely adding a 'dumb' effect for effect's sake. It would be easy to access the box from stage, and discretely advance to the next programme.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend moving heads without some kind of control (ideally a lighting tech, of course..!). Some folks like discos, however; I'm quite used to being in the minority.
Just my tuppence worth; hope this helps...
[/quote]

Thanks for the response - when you say about running standalone programmes, can you still get them to be sound activated so they are in keeping with the tempo. In other words, you can have a less intense light show instead of quick movements for say ballads but still triggered by sound? I know you can programme DMX to follow a complete sequence - which would be ace if we had a backing track or tempo to play along with... but as you know, the chances of keeping in time with a preprogrammed sequence otherwise is about as likely as... well... winning the lottery jackpot 10 weeks on the run.

Lighting tech is defo the answer... but an added expense which is not ideal unless we are on a big paying gig.

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1349867259' post='1831447']
Sound to light with normal fixtures just changes the colour (most of the time), with moving heads it'll do that, but will in addition vary the gobo (light pattern), and the direction of travel.

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like, take a trip to a local nightclub as they almost always use sound to light on everything. It works for constant upbeat music but for music that varies, or is slower in pace, it can be a bit hit and miss as there isn't a 'subtle' option on sound-to-light. With normal lights it'd be alright as they'd just stay on the same colour, but here you'd be left with lights zipping around, spinning and what not. Think cheesy school disco.

So all in all, it depends what type of music you play, as to whether sound-to-light moving fixtures would look good or not.

As for the various makes and models, they will all do exactly the same thing. All that changes with price is how well they do it. You'll notice with cheaper models that they can be quite shaky, and that the colour/gobo change is noticable (you see the thing moving out the way). The motors will be slower, and the output not as bright.

So, what kind of music is it, and what's your budget?
[/quote]

I've kinda got all of that, I'm more interested in the programming aspect and how well they work on standard sound to light patterns. I notice some have remotes that can change the inbuilt programmes (e.g. just to static lights, or slow moving, through to strobe and crazy chases - this could be ideal - but I don't know in reality how good they are and how they would work with the band.

The band is out and out pop party - uptempo stuff with a couple of slower groove based stuff. Budget is open to suggestion - I don't mind investing if it's the right stuff... but obviously, getting arena moving heads to play functions is a bit daft... and of course, I need them to be transportable.

Edited by EBS_freak

Sound to light would be uneditable. It'd be all or nothing basically.

What's he's referencing is that you can pre-program a lighting board to just go through a series of presets. So you can set some kind of show suitable for your style, and just press a button at the beginning of a song. It wouldn't be sound-to-light though.

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1349881118' post='1831735']
Sound to light would be uneditable. It'd be all or nothing basically.

What's he's referencing is that you can pre-program a lighting board to just go through a series of presets. So you can set some kind of show suitable for your style, and just press a button at the beginning of a song. It wouldn't be sound-to-light though.
[/quote]

Thought as much. OK.

EBS...

Better than a long diatribe from myself, go to the source...

[url="http://www.nicolaudie.com/en/home-show.htm"]http://www.nicolaudi...n/home-show.htm[/url]

...The version I used was much less sophisticated than the current models, and did a great job for several years with a touring ska/rock/punk band, Kiemsa...
Here's their clip from that period; the lights during the 'live' sequences are what I was doing with Sunlite. It's my son on guitar, hardly visible on right of screen (turn the sound up..! :yarr: ) ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWeuypvClc[/media]

I ended up passing it on to a buddy with a PA/lights company, who still uses it. I highly rate the ease of use, professional functionality, reasonable price etc. of this product (there are other, similar, offerings, though...).
if you want to do serious stuff, it may be worth investigating..? If nothing else, you'll learn a lot (yes, there's alot to learn..!) which will serve you in good stead, whatever your final decision.
You can download the software for free, and check it out. Obviously, one can only control fixtures 'for real' with the interface box, but 3D graphic simulation will give some idea, and one may appreciate the ergonomy and technicity etc. involved, with only an investment of one's time...
Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353