Why become a member? ×

5 string flatwound sets

alstocko

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1349732955' post='1829939']
Im thinking of putting some on my Lakland JO5, but I've always had labella 4 string sets on my old bass. Does anyone have any recommendations?
[/quote]
Lakland Joe Osborn flats - available here: [url="http://www.lakland.com/direct/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LD&Product_Code=JOSF5&Category_Code=5STRS"]http://www.lakland.com/direct/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LD&Product_Code=JOSF5&Category_Code=5STRS[/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1349733069' post='1829944']

Lakland Joe Osborn flats - available here: [url="http://www.lakland.com/direct/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LD&Product_Code=JOSF5&Category_Code=5STRS"]http://www.lakland.com/direct/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LD&Product_Code=JOSF5&Category_Code=5STRS[/url]
[/quote]
Any good?

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1349733217' post='1829948']
Any good?
[/quote]
Yep, they are made for Lakland by GHS and are basically GHS Precision flats. Since Lakland stopped calling it the Joe Osborn signature and it became the 44-60/55-60, they also dropped the JO name from the strings, so now just Lakland flats.

I don't know anything about the B string though as I only ever play four strings.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1349733557' post='1829958']

Yep, they are made for Lakland by GHS and are basically GHS Precision flats. Since Lakland stopped calling it the Joe Osborn signature and it became the 44-60/55-60, they also dropped the JO name from the strings, so now just Lakland flats.

I don't know anything about the B string though as I only ever play four strings.
[/quote]
Thanks, just ordered a set. Now I'm a walking talking JO billboard ;)

Could be worse, he's a great player!

JO is a great player indeed (in my top 3 anyway)...

Not tried the Lakland flats but bear in mind you'll probably have to play them for a bit before they settle into that classic Flat sound.

Thomastik Jazz Flats are also nice sounding, but take a little getting used to as particularly on the 5 string set the tensions feel a little all over the shop!

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1349988115' post='1833315']
Just found out that la bella do five string sets, they're just rare. Gutted.
Hopefully the Lakkies are good :)
[/quote]
I didn't realise that you didn't realise you could get five-string La Bellas. I took you to mean that you wanted to try something different.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

GHS precision flats are my favourites after trying quite a few (not La Bellas yet) and the Laklands are supposed to be the same.
I also only use 4 strings, but it will be interesting to see how you find them compared to La Bellas.

I bought some new ones from the US recently and got hit for VAT plus £12.50 handling charge :(

The la bellas that I know (FM I think, 49-109) are higher tension as I recall, these are well balanced across the bass, and it'll be hard to tell before I properly play them in how the tone compares as they're too "Steve Harris" for me at the moment ;)

It was interesting to find out that you can't (or maybe shouldn't) put flatwounds on a string-through-body setup. Why would this make them snap? (Lakland seriously advised against this in th packet!)

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1350318803' post='1837234']
The la bellas that I know (FM I think, 49-109) are higher tension as I recall, these are well balanced across the bass, and it'll be hard to tell before I properly play them in how the tone compares as they're too "Steve Harris" for me at the moment ;)

It was interesting to find out that you can't (or maybe shouldn't) put flatwounds on a string-through-body setup. Why would this make them snap? (Lakland seriously advised against this in th packet!)
[/quote]
Because flat tape winding likes being seriously bent less than round wire winding does. Hence flatwounds are more likely to unwind at the bridge when used through body than roundwounds are.

Some flatwounds are worse than others for this problem.

I always string through bridge anyway because I can't hear or feel any difference if I string through body.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1350320720' post='1837272']

Because flat tape winding likes being seriously bent less than round wire winding does. Hence flatwounds are more likely to unwind at the bridge when used through body than roundwounds are.

Some flatwounds are worse than others for this problem.

I always string through bridge anyway because I can't hear or feel any difference if I string through body.
[/quote]
Ahh ok, thanks for the insight. I've been stringing through the body for 6 months now, can't tell the slightest bit of difference...