Why become a member? ×

squier modified jazz v

greyparrot

HEY ALL IN MY MANY YEARS PLAYING I'VE HAD MANY OF THE TOP BASSES OUT THERE, (sorry caps) and while buying the new TC BG250 combo (great) I saw this Squier bass in the corner, just asking to be played, I played a few runs on it and I was hooked had to get it. I really cannot fault this bass, it looks feels and sounds awesome, and in all fairness i cannot see how these are so cheap, seems every bit as well made as a bass costing 100s more.....anyways. worth a look.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQsX7vcP2E[/media]

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1349218621' post='1823615']
Holy hell! When did they start making those in 5-strings? Only reason I never got one was because I didn't need a 4-string.
It's even got the proper classic 4-over-1 config I adore with the huge tuners!!!
...I want one!
[/quote]

highly recommend mate n iv had many top basses

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1349350992' post='1825067']
Yeah it's a right swizz! They say they do a 5 string p, but it's got jazz pups with a P pickguard. Not cool. Is it really that hard to stick a 5 string P pup in there?

Truckstop
[/quote]

I have two 5 string P's. I was told (and it sounds probably true) that Squier would have done a J/J config because it would have been cheaper than trying to design/mass manufacture a 5 string P pickup.

I put Wizard Jazz pups in one, and it's my main gigging bass. I do love the sound. The other is my very slow moving project, and the intention was to put a P/J config in it. I have had loads of grief with the EMG set I bought. I had a mate rout out a huge square hole so that I could mess around with location of the P pup, but I can't get it so that the B string response is right for me. The simple answer to your question is that the original hole in the body for the pickup under the scratchplate is squarer than a J pickup, but not big enough to just slot a P in.

Funnily enough i haven't touched this bass for about 2 years and I just picked it up again last night. There was some fluttering and popping going on, so I think I need to check my dodgy soldering (first stop check the battery!)

*Edit - it also worth noting that the original Jazz pickups in the basses were not elongated for a 5 - they were both the same size as the shorter neck pickup in my 4 string JV.

Edited by Huge Hands

Stop telling me how good it is!
Bah, must sell my Squier Jazz V (Affinity, apparently) to make room...as I never use it.
This, although it has the same electronics, it has the aesthetics I find pleasing, and the headstock will carry weight due to those tuners...Plus, y'know, Maple fingerboard MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1349388917' post='1825840']
Stop telling me how good it is!
Bah, must sell my Squier Jazz V (Affinity, apparently) to make room...as I never use it.
This, although it has the same electronics, it has the aesthetics I find pleasing, and the headstock will carry weight due to those tuners...Plus, y'know, Maple fingerboard MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
[/quote]

I didn't think that the Affinities have Duncan Designed pickups?

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1349422623' post='1826029']
I didn't think that the Affinities have Duncan Designed pickups?
[/quote]

Not those either, just some stock pickups...So yeah.
But enough! I cannot get one unless I make room. Shifting anything not high end has become somewhat harder on here...and now I've been given GAS again. :-(