Why become a member? ×

flatwounds - with a feel like TruBass but a zing like rounds

muttley

I'm looking for some flats for a fretless. I have RotoSound TruBass 88s (nylon tape wound) on another bass and I like these for the smooth feel, high compliance and warmth. However, for this other bass I want the same high compliance but a brighter sound more like rounds. What do BCers recommend?

Rotosound flats are the brightest, most roundwound sounding I've used, but they're not as smooth as the Tru Bass.
Chromes are very smooth and the next brightest I've tried, but they're not as zingy as the Rotosounds.

TI's are great for fretless, with a light gauge and feel, they are smooth and fairly bright, but more middy than the others.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1348750522' post='1817707']
GHS pressurewounds on my fretless

[/quote]

Thanks for the link - I'm going to try these.
GHS Precisions are my favourite flats for reggae and these may be better for other styles and on fretless.

Rotosound also make pressurewound bass strings, which feel smoother than rounds and sound quite bright:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjUWmiV9fw8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjUWmiV9fw8[/url]

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1348750522' post='1817707']
GHS pressurewounds on my fretless

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcQJyHGbeY[/media]

very responsive, ie they can be as dark or as zingy as you like depending on how you attack them. Much more like rounds than Chromes.
[/quote]

Sounding nice, I think I might get on with that mix. I'll give them a go next time I'm buying strings. I just ordered a set of DR BB's to try on the Stingray as I'm finding the Cobalts a bit too zingy and theTI flats have gone back on the Jazz. I think I'm happy, then it all starts again.. bit like GAS!!

D'Addario tapewounds are quite bright for tapes, and would certainly have the right feel. I'm not sure how they compare to Trubass, but they're a touch brighter than Chromes. Alternatively TI Jazz flats are pretty articulate in a midrangey way and have that soft, flexible feel to them. I really enjoyed TIs on the last fretless I owned.

I am a great fan of the current Fender 9050CL flats. They are steel, not chrome, and they have almost a subdued Roto growl to them. They are absolutely consistent string-to-string and up the neck, less expensive than most, and last almost forever. These are the strings that switched me from a roundwound to a flatwound player, after over 35 years playing bass.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1348996656' post='1820381'] Anyone have an opinion on Status Hotwire flats in relation to the above? They're a lot cheaper than other brands. [/quote]

I use the Status half rounds on my fretless. Very smooth on both your fingers and the fretboard, lots of mwah and quite toppy in the higher register with the right eq. I'm very happy with them.

Steve.

Recently bought my first fretless and it had a dead low E string. I've always used Elites on my fretted bases, so got the same gauge Elite flatwounds for the fretless. There is zing available if I want it, but likely not enough for tweeter-lovers!

Edited by JapanAxe