Why become a member? ×

It Was 50 Years Ago Today! (Well, In A Couple Of Weeks)

Hobbayne

[quote name='Starless' timestamp='1349528569' post='1827386']
Rightly adored and respected by the masses, and 43 years after ceasing to be, continuing to elicit derision and ignorant cynicism from the terminally cloth-eared.
[/quote]

Self-righteous indignation by proxy; I'm sure he'll remember you in his will. As has been requested in the past by a few maybe we should have pinned a list of any artist who is deified by enough BCers as to be in a category of "must like or else you're tasteless/cloth-eared"?

[quote name='Starless' timestamp='1349555811' post='1827797']
I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means.
[/quote]

You must do; unless you copied "after [i]ceasing[/i] to be, continuing to [i]elicit derision[/i] and [i]ignorant cynicism[/i]" from a big book you found.

Still, I'm glad you understood the rest of it enough to understand that folk are allowed to find the tastes of others - in music or anything else - [i]not[/i] to their own liking without being condemned as ignorant OR cloth-eared.

Edited by Big_Stu

I was 10 in 1962, so my teenage years were punctuated by Beatles releases. I couldn't deny that they achieved mass appeal, helped by brilliant promotion, and wrote some nice songs, helped by clever arrangements, but it was always pop. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with pop, but it isn't, whatever William Mann said, Schubert.

I've just seen, on a Beatles fan site, a remarkably good summary of how I feel about them. They represent " a nice, cosy insurance company friendly version of what youthful upheaval should be about.". Hence my comment about The Stones. They're rarely comfortable, whether its Mother's Little Helper, Under My Thumb or Brown Sugar. That's why I'm still listening to Stones songs.

[quote name='Starless' timestamp='1349532104' post='1827447']
Not really, they rarely come up on shuffle, but most things that I do listen to owe a hell of a lot to them (and I'm not talking about f***ing Oasis - classic case of how to do 'Beatles' very badly).
[/quote]

I don't really get the Beatles comparisons with Oasis, I'd never heard an Oasis song that reminded me of them until their later albums.

But I have heard Oasis songs that ripped off Wham! T Rex, The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, Joy Division, The La's, Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Burt Bacharach, Gary Glitter, Stereophonics, George Harrison, REM, Neil Innes, and a few more I can't think of, but very rarely have I noticed any Beatles ripoffs.

I'll probably think of loads when I go to bed now :lol:

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1349584888' post='1827949']
I don't really get the Beatles comparisons with Oasis, I'd never heard an Oasis song that reminded me of them until their later albums.

But I have heard Oasis songs that ripped off Wham! T Rex, The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, Joy Division, The La's, Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Burt Bacharach, Gary Glitter, Stereophonics, George Harrison, REM, Neil Innes, and a few more I can't think of, but very rarely have I noticed any Beatles ripoffs.

I'll probably think of loads when I go to bed now :lol:
[/quote]

Mott The Hoople (Bowie to be precise); when I first heard the riff of one of Oasis' later hits I thought "That's the same riff as "Dudes!", but then listening to an i'view with Noel he admitted ripping it off.

Ironically, one of the things The Beatles were criticised for in their later years was over-reliance on pastiche, which is a polite term for ripping off. There was a bit in Sgt Peppers and the White Album was full of it. Talking of Neil Innes, now there's a legend, the real masters of pastiche were the Bonzo Dogs.

[quote name='Starless' timestamp='1349528961' post='1827396']
6 years. Hilarious quips work better when the hilarious quipper gets their facts straight.
[/quote]

You flatter me with the 'hilarious' tag, but you're right about the 6 years. I must have been confusing Hey Jude with Let It Be.