Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001/4003 - Help needed!

BetaFunk

With the odd exception the only ones you'll find with chequered binding are '73 and earlier. They have done the odd one-off or limited run/edition (and of course the 4002 and LK) but generally speaking you aren't going to get anything later than '73 with chequers.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1348512029' post='1814623']
With the odd exception the only ones you'll find with chequered binding are '73 and earlier. They have done the odd one-off or limited run/edition (and of course the 4002 and LK) but generally speaking you aren't going to get anything later than '73 with chequers.
[/quote]
Thanks 4000, much appreciated. I think what threw me was that i saw a 1979 4001 with chequered binding but looking again i see it was custom order. As you can tell i don't know a great deal about these basses but have always fancied either a 4001 or 4003 and will buy one in the next few weeks (or as long as it takes to find the right one).

The new 4003 basses (and this from a guy who owns an original 1981 4002 with the original checkered, er, chequered binding) are the best the company has ever made for fit, finish, tone and playability. I also like the binding, and wish RIC would reintroduce it. Alas, the labour involved means that only custom or one-off instruments that sell for ridiculously high prices are all they make.

As above: if you simply want a 4003, get a new one and be done with it. You will be very pleased. If you want the aesthetics of the checquers, will be prepared to spend a significant amount and then some.

Hi, I have just purchased a new 2012 4003 mapleglo, i have been playing rics for 34 years and the new ones are just the best ever 2012 model!! fit&finish is 10/10, tone is awesome for a brand new Rickenbacker, i can not recommend a new one enough, you will pay £1200 for a decent used one, i got a good deal on my new one and was only £300 more than a used one so i would buy new that way you have a mint instrument no one else has played, my favourite 4003 was a 1999 jetglo, this new one sounds as good, just shop around and make sure you play the bass before you buy. good luck.

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1348588595' post='1815617']
Hi, I have just purchased a new 2012 4003 mapleglo, i have been playing rics for 34 years and the new ones are just the best ever 2012 model!! fit&finish is 10/10, tone is awesome for a brand new Rickenbacker, i can not recommend a new one enough, you will pay £1200 for a decent used one, i got a good deal on my new one and was only £300 more than a used one so i would buy new that way you have a mint instrument no one else has played, my favourite 4003 was a 1999 jetglo, this new one sounds as good, just shop around and make sure you play the bass before you buy. good luck.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice. After i posted my question i had a walk down to my local guitar shop (a five minute walk) and as i walked in the shop there in front of me was a brand new 4003 in Jetglo. I will be returning to negotiate a deal in the next couple of days!

P.S. Thanks to everyone who replied (especially iiipopes and geofio) with advice as it's much appreciated.

Edited by BetaFunk

Hope it's a good 'un. Personally I prefer jetglo to pretty much any other colour for a 4003, just looks *right* somehow. I picked up a 2000 model on eBay in 2002, it was barely played in and I still have it. It's seen the odd knock through the years but still a fine instrument.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1348588595' post='1815617']
[/quote]

I'll second that about the 2012 4003 Rickenbacker. After 43 years playing bass, I did the 4003 Mapleglo. Mine is great, it's a first week in Sept. manufacture, 4003.