Why become a member? ×

Marshall MB4210 dead!

Judo Chop

This should probably be in Amps and Cabinets, so sorry if it's in the wrong section!

Anyway, my one year old Marshall started cutting out a couple of weeks ago while I was using the classic channel (a common problem with this model I believe?) but that stopped after a few minutes of leaving the amp unplugged.
So I (stupidly) thought no more of it and carried on using it as normal.
Until today when I tried to turn it on, and nothing happened. I've tried different power leads but still no luck, so I was wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem with their MB series Marshall, and what they did to fix it?
I've already contacted Dawsons and Marshall and I'm waiting for a reply.

Cheers!

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago when using one of the 4410s. The Modern Channel was fine, nothing on Classic. Usually means the pre-amp valve has become dislodged in its holder - apparently quite a common fault. In fact, same thing happened on my own 450H. Ordering a spare valve from Marshall would be a good idea anyway. They`re meant to be quite easy to replace.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348235867' post='1811237']
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago when using one of the 4410s. The Modern Channel was fine, nothing on Classic. Usually means the pre-amp valve has become dislodged in its holder - apparently quite a common fault. In fact, same thing happened on my own 450H. Ordering a spare valve from Marshall would be a good idea anyway. They`re meant to be quite easy to replace.
[/quote]

The amp won't turn on at all though on either channel? Is this because of a loose valve?

Edited by Jack Cahalane

Possibly the mains switch gone, maybe a fuse but they tend to just "go" rather than be intermittent for a while.

The tech guys at Marshall have always been really good when I've used them, they'd also tell you that they're the only official repairers of Marshall, shops are only "authorised" sellers.
Might be worth giving them a bell (01908 375411), I've often had a diagnosis over the phone & told whether it's worth sending back or getting a shop to do an easy fix.

Good bit about having Marshall do a repair is that they always overhaul the amp, don't just fix the fault reported. But then you have the issue of being amp-less while it's away.
You could hope Dawsons will squeeze it in to the guarantee period?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348239062' post='1811288']
Possibly the mains switch gone, maybe a fuse but they tend to just "go" rather than be intermittent for a while.
[/quote]

The cutting out stopped when I turned the gain down, then today, a few weeks later it just wpuldn't turn on at all so it could still be the mains switch I suppose
Thanks!

Edited by Jack Cahalane

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1348246604' post='1811426']
Even outside the guarantee, it should be covered for repair (or replacement) if it's a known issue or faulty part & you've not been abusing it.
Should be no cost to you other than maybe postage back to Dawsons. Phone them.
[/quote]
Definitely haven't abused it, it's got a few scuffs from narrow doorways and gig wear and tear, but as far as actually using it, the master volume never goes past 12 o'clock, even less with the extension cabinet.
I rang Dawsons before, they're ringing Marshall and will get back to me on Monday. Or so they say...

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348247687' post='1811454']
Definitely haven't abused it, it's got a few scuffs from narrow doorways and gig wear and tear, but as far as actually using it, the master volume never goes past 12 o'clock, even less with the extension cabinet.
I rang Dawsons before, they're ringing Marshall and will get back to me on Monday. Or so they say...
[/quote]

No reason why it shouldn't be a straight "send it in & we'll send it back fixed". :)