Why become a member? ×

NBD: '65 Mosrite Ventures Bass

They tend to be quite expensive - especially if they are in good condition. There was a fantastic looking 2 pickup blue/green one on Ishibashi for ages, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a bass that I wasn't going to get much use out of due to the scale length and lack of B-string.

A Mosrite-style bass with 5-strings and a full 34" scale is on my list of custom builds when I have the cash.

It was a while back, but IIRC it would have cost at least £2000 after shipping and import taxes. There was also the question of whether it was an original or a modern re-issue and overall authenticity (alway a problem with buying anything Mosrite-y from Japan) which I could never get a definite answer for from Ishibashi.

How much did your's set you back if you don't mind me asking?

The scale is 33 1/4", so a fair bit shorter than my 4003 (36 1/4), but longer than say an eb-0 or a Mustang, which I think are around 30".

The skinny nut width and miniscule frets definitely make it feel smaller.

The tone on this thing is so damn cool.

Edited by 1970

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1348319847' post='1812290']
The scale is 33 1/4", so a fair bit shorter than my 4003 (36 1/4), but longer than say an eb-0 or a Mustang, which I think are around 30".

The skinny nut width and miniscule frets definitely make it feel smaller.

The tone on this thing is so damn cool.
[/quote]

That's good. I expected it to be 32" at the most - which is what I've heard the Hallmark copy is going to be...