Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pedal board mains hum help??

hen barn

i have just got myself a new pedal board and a 5 way 9v adaptor . Problem is i am now getting a hum when all my pedals are plugged in. i have worked it out to being my korg g5 synth bass pedal. so i plugged in the old 9v adaptor and the hum went? But i don't want to use a separate one? any ideas

The Korg G5 takes a lot of current - don't remember exactly but I think it's something like 1.5 - 2.0 amps. I found that with a multi-supply, plugging in the Korg meant that most of the other pedals stopped working and other weird sh*t started happening.

I'd start by looking up the power rating of the 5way adaptor and see what it's rated at.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1348249105' post='1811488']
The Korg G5 takes a lot of current - don't remember exactly but I think it's something like 1.5 - 2.0 amps. I found that with a multi-supply, plugging in the Korg meant that most of the other pedals stopped working and other weird sh*t started happening.

I'd start by looking up the power rating of the 5way adaptor and see what it's rated at.
[/quote]
This, you're probably not getting enough current for all your FX, so while they will all turn on you're likely to get issues like for example hum. Usually mains hum is related to an earth loop, but as you're using DC pedals they won't be earthed, so I would say you need a power supply with as many amps (or mA) as the total of all your pedals require. so...

e.g. Pedal 1 = 500mA, pedal 2 = 300mA, pedal 3 = 400mA, Pedal 4 = 1300mA
total = 2500mA or 2.5A

most 9v off the shelf power adapters are about 500mA - 1000mA