Why become a member? ×

FT: Conklin 9 String PacMan Bass.

binky_bass

Right, here we go...

I swore to myself I would never sell/trade or part with in anyway this bass for multiple reasons, and even though I'm listing it as for trade, I have to be honest and say there's no guarantee at all that it will leave my possession.

This bass was built in the latest part of 2000 by Conklin in America for Jean Baudin. It has two Bartolini soapbar pickups which are set up via a duel output so you can split the pickups and send the lowest 4 strings to one output/amp and the highest 5 strings to the other output/different amp, this way you can run different effects or whatever you want through either output, you can also just run them together as standard.

Its multiscaled (fanned frets) with a reasonably new set of strings on it, the onboard EQ isn't really to my taste, not enough HIFI high end for me! But i tell you, this bass thumps like a thunder storm!.

The neck is 7 ply maple/purpleheart and the top wood is Ziricote, the body of the bass has a slightly cloudy coating to it, which might hide the grain of the wood slightly, but really stands up to weathering, the bass was played relentlessly by Jean for the first 5 years of its life, and its come out the other side with little to no battle scars.

The bass has a PacMan inlay using yellowheart for PacMan, and purpleheart for the baddie (the baddie is right up the top of the neck, the purpleheart has faded with age, but a neck refinish would bring him back to life) with dot inlays in between. The tuners are baddies chasing PacMan one way, and PacMan chasing the baddies the other way, these where made by Roger at THG knobs, as where the control knobs, again in the PacMan theme!

the current price on a build with this spec from Conklin is just over $11,000 and that's without the pickup system and without the tuners and knobs, so all in, to have this built today would cost in excess of $12,000, that's £7,400.

Really, this is only for trade, but I would consider a cash offer depending on the seriousness of it...

Trade wise, I put the value of this at £3,500 and I'd be after ONLY 6 string basses or above, the likes of Fodera and Fbass are my primary wants, though a really top end Drozd would be tempting, or anything else that's along those lines, offers welcome etc.

I'm based in Essex and I'm on 07912222127 if you want to chat, again, this is only a feeler... but still, let me know what you got!

Russ.

[attachment=118789:IMG_3231.JPG][attachment=118790:IMG_3227.JPG][attachment=118792:IMG_3229.JPG]
[attachment=118793:IMG_3228.JPG][attachment=118794:IMG_3236.JPG][attachment=118791:IMG_3475.JPG][attachment=118795:IMG_3232.JPG]

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348070612' post='1808868']
What on earth are you doing? This is one of the coolest things EVER!!!!
[/quote]

It's the second coolest thing ever! The coolest thing ever is my Binky Bass... :)

I have an ACG 9 string, and my 10 string BeeBass, I need a 6 or 7 string worker bass, that'll become Mr everyday.

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1348071176' post='1808881']
Holy carp, this was one of the first EUB's I ever saw, and Jean was a HUGE influence on me from hearing his first solo record. And Nuclear Rabbit for that fact.

How did this come into your possession?
[/quote]

I flew to San Francisco on Friday evening, picked it up, got shown around San Fran by Jean, then flew back on Monday. 24 hours in a plane for 24 hours in San Fran, commitment! That week I averaged a speed of 108mph even while sleeping... :)