Why become a member? ×

Buying decision help

Lotusmark2

Those look quite different bits of kit. I have no direct experience of either, but the Fender looks like a practical
tool, whereas the Ampeg just looks cute. I'm a sucker for cute little amps, but the reviews I've seen of it basically
say "given that it's toy-sized, the sound is not bad", which I read as saying it's crap, but not as crap as you might expect.

And if you compare the new RRP of the Fender and the Ampeg, that'll give you some idea of their relative merits.
A lot of people on here would strongly recommend buying 2nd hand as that'll be much better value. Of course, it
depends who the seller is, how trustworthy etc, and how likely the amp is to be in good shape and reliable.

If its 90% bedroom use, the Ampeg looks better, and you get to say you have an Ampeg stack - which will earn you bass player kudos in the pub. Although If you're playing in the pub the Ampeg microstack is only 100w and it'll probably struggle. If you want to do gigs I'd get the Fender out of those two.

However....
Can I ask why you have narrowed your choice down to two amps that are not even remotely similar?
Do you like the sound? The look? Or are they just the two that you have found that fit your budget

I love the sound of both brands bass amps, so in this case I`d look at the practicalities. The Ampeg looks great, but I would doubt it will have enough power for gigs, even small gigs, unless acoustic. I just can`t see it coping in a band with drums. I reckon it would be heard, but you`re not likely to get a really full gigging sound from it. The Fender however will be more than enough for gigs.

Great feedback guys
Main reason for the two amps is that I had narrowed down to the Ampeg but then I got first refusal on the Fender and at the same price as the Ampeg it got me thinking.
My main concerns are that for home use is the 400 overkill? Lugging 80lbs up and down stairs could also be a small issue. The Ampeg looked nice for home use but will it really cut the mustard? That said, it's half the weight of the Fender.
Tough choices!!!

80lbs up & down stairs on a regular basis, depending on age/fitness, can be an issue. I`ve found that 50lbs is about my limit for this. Additionally, as said, is the 400 overkill for home use - probably, but it will do for gigs, and if it`s only occasionally you`re gigging, probably put-up-with-able.

That said, for the budget available,I`m sure there are other options, as for me, the Ampeg I doubt will be giggable, and the Fender at 8olbs would be too much.

Edited by Lozz196

I've no experience with either, but depending on the venue, the band & what the Ampeg's sensitivity is like, you might get a surprise at what gig's a small amp can do (as long as you don't need masses of low end).

Though I'm with Lozz, I'd be looking at the other options before buying anything.

What's your budget (I'm guessing £400, abased on the Ampeg)?

Yeah, i looked at that. Its about £350 for the head, approx same for one speaker cab. If you could get head & 2 cabs 2nd hand for £500, that would be giggable, portable, and with one cab hooked up, good for home use. A fair few Talkbassers use that rig.

If going for portable and giggable, without taking up too much room, a used Markbass combo, though at the upper end of the budget, would do it all. Sound good with a Precision too.

Yes Ampeg for home use would be fine. But even with PA might struggle to hear yourself on-stage unless you have quite a middy sound. If you're playing in venues with in-house PA though, the boom will come from their system so it could work for you. For my 2p it seems an expensive rig for what it actually is with no possibility to expand/increase power.

As long as you know that and are aware that you might have to upgrade your rig if you start doing pub gigs etc. then that's OK. But we wouldn't wnat you to get that rig and find at your first gig that you can't hear yourself...

[quote name='Lotusmark2' timestamp='1348145360' post='1809962']
Thanks so much guys, doing a final round up of my thoughts on this.
If home use was the only consideration do you guys think the CL would hold its own (thinking PA for gigs)
[/quote]

the ampeg will be fine for home use, but i still say you should try and check out the other ampeg micro amp.

but with a pa like above you might struggle and also have to crank it a bit but you could always try raising the combo up higher so you hear it better.

andy