Why become a member? ×

"Live Music" Entertainment

WalMan

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348843706' post='1819052']
No, but it does make it crap. But why do people have a problem if I call it as I see it? Infinite tolerance of mediocrity and the uninspired is what makes 'live music' a dubious attraction for many.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with it. All I would say is that, while I agree with you 100% in principle, when I've been forced into a situation where I've had to sit through a performance backed by a tape, it sometimes wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Usually because the performer had some quality that rose above the environment. A good singer with a backing tape might be less mediocre than a poor singer with a band.

Miming is a bit different. In most cases I think punters don't realise that's happening unless something goes wrong, in which case they feel cheated. There were any number of performers who either refused to mime on TOTP or made it so obvious that's what they were doing that the Beeb had to stop doing it. It's possible there are some situations where you can't avoid it, like the Olympics ceremonies, but even then I don't like it.

So how do you feel about opera singers using microphones. :lol:

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348841907' post='1819011']
Just out of interest,while many people are happy to see a singer perform with all of the music on
track,how many would be satisfied to see a band perform with all of the vocals on track?
[/quote]

well, [url="http://www.myspace.com/superbadhamburg"]these guys [/url]do it - kind of. and the crowd really likes it. :)
they use a dj who shoots the extracted vocals and the drummer use a klick.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348843706' post='1819052']
Infinite tolerance of mediocrity and the uninspired is what makes 'live music' a dubious attraction for many.
[/quote]

And unfamiliarity with the entertainment provided puts off many more.

If you want to educate - start by creating interest by entertaining.

If someone puts some effort in BT's ...and employs a decent producer/engr then they deserve a premium of sorts in their fee...
but they had still bettter be good...and she better be hot as well. :lol:

You'll get crap bands, crap duo's and crap solo's but it isn't about what is fair fair... it is more about the market being sustainable.
You can be undercut on any manner of gigs, and your only repost is..."you get what you pay for"..

Just try and be worth what you charge..that is all you can do.

I recently attended our local country music club (there I've said it - now I feel [b]so dirty[/b]) and they had a solo 'artist' appearing. He had an acoustic guitar and backing tracks. As he 'played' I watched his fingers - whatever the key, this guy just made random A, D and E chords. The acoustic on the BTs sounded great, but it wasn't him! He just muted the guitar while he was 'playing'. Now that's [s]show business[/s] FRAUD!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1349198488' post='1823194']
I recently attended our local country music club (there I've said it - now I feel [b]so dirty[/b]) and they had a solo 'artist' appearing. He had an acoustic guitar and backing tracks. As he 'played' I watched his fingers - whatever the key, this guy just made random A, D and E chords. The acoustic on the BTs sounded great, but it wasn't him! He just muted the guitar while he was 'playing'. Now that's [s]show business[/s] FRAUD!
[/quote]

That's terrible. I can't think of any possible justification for it.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1349256687' post='1823814']
I can!

'But the audience loved it'

'He was bringing people to live music who may go on to see other live bands'

'The venue wasn't big enough for a guitarist/singer who actually played guitar and sang'

..... shall I continue?
[/quote]

Is anyone taking that position for miming? I'm certainly not. Performing to a backing tape isn't great, but it is honest, there's no deception involved. Miming, trying to look like you're performing when you're not, is basically dishonest, and, no, it isn't like acting. I know it happens all the time on TV and I still don't like it. It's quite amusing to see a clip of Jack Casady playing with a toy frog hanging across the fretboard, because he's miming, but I'd rather he hadn't done it.