Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flats on a Hofner Verythin Bass

Cat Burrito

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Hoping someone can advise; I play my Hofner Verythin bass exclusively now and the first thing I did was take the stock roundwound strings off and put my usual very heavy gauge flats on. It sounds great but the E rattles when played open. I've since learnt that shorter scale basses don't need heavy gauges. This is my first ever short scale bass hence the schoolboy error.

I wedged a bit of foam under the nut which although not looking neat stopped the problem. Longer term I need to replace the strings - something I never like to do! Should I be buying short or perhaps medium length strings? With the strings going past the bridge I wondered if long scale was what I wanted as I'd heard short scale are too short. Can anyone advise?

It will be flats. My style / sound doesn't suit roundwounds and black nylon strings aren't what I want. Any pointers much appreciated.[/size][/font]

Edited by BurritoBass

In the 60s, the Verithins would have come with tape wound strings, sorry, flats as standard. Infact, they were the only strings you could buy. If I were you, I'd measure the string length and e-mail Rotosound or the string manufacturer of your choice and find out what strings they make that could fit your bass. Good luck with finding the right strings.

Cheers. I think I'm looking at medium length according to other sites. Yep, the 60s vibe is what I was after and I knew a bit about string history - just not the lengths! Hofner strings are ridiculously expensive so probably just one of the usual (cheaper) manufacturers like Rotosound is fine

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1348005536' post='1808144']
Cheers. I think I'm looking at medium length according to other sites. Yep, the 60s vibe is what I was after and I knew a bit about string history - just not the lengths! Hofner strings are ridiculously expensive so probably just one of the usual (cheaper) manufacturers like Rotosound is fine
[/quote]
Medium 32" scale is probably going to work.

I believe Hofner strings are really Pyramid strings - which won't make them any cheaper.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1348004222' post='1808120']In the 60s, the Verithins would have come with tape wound strings...[/quote]

[pedant]
A 'Verithin' (the copyrighted Selmer name for the Hofner 500/7, now 'vintage'...) is not a 'Verythin' (very nice Hofner re-issue of a classic bass, but with some different features...), although I believe the scale length to be the same (medium, on the RotoSound scale...).
[/pedant]

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1348005536' post='1808144']... just one of the usual (cheaper) manufacturers like Rotosound is fine[/quote]

RotoSound Jazz Bass RS77M...

Hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353