Why become a member? ×

Dead E-string on Musicman Sabre

ahpook

I'm not saying this will work, but it may be worth a try...I remember a guitar repairer (name forgotten) saying that shimming necks can break the interaction of resonance between a body and neck in a way to improve the tone. He even advocated putting a thin plectrum to ramp up the neck at the front edge of the neck pocket (edge furthest away from body) and then tightening the neck screws. Obviously this then throws your bridge action out so it will need readjusting.
I've carried this out myself due to a bridge's height screws being at the end of their travel, i.e. chasing a different problem, but it does change the sound. I'm a firm believer in neck material and mass making a big difference in sound.
Might be worth looking into? Won't cost much to try...

My G&L SB1 suffered weak E string and dead and live notes on G string. Part of the problem was strings with single core over bridge (have forgotten what they are). Regular strings helped, but final cure was good setup by good luthier. Bass is sorted now :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1364162204' post='2022773']
My G&L SB1 suffered weak E string and dead and live notes on G string. Part of the problem was strings with single core over bridge (have forgotten what they are). Regular strings helped, but final cure was good setup by good luthier. Bass is sorted now :)
[/quote]

good news :)