Why become a member? ×

Speaker re-cone - anyone tried doing it themselves?

Shaggy

Anyone tried re-coning a blown speaker themselves using one of the commercially available kits? Being the cheapskate I am I'm tempted, but can see me making a pigs ear of it and then having to fork out again for a pro repair....

Driver is an Electro Voice EVM10M (10" / 8 ohm / 200W)

Ta! Greg

Tried repairing Peavey B/W where the cone edging had lifted from the metal frame - age caused glue to fail. It was not a good result (I am pretty fair at repairs - usually) There is a good amount of info about how to recone available - shims to set voice coil in correct position seems to be the secret. What is blown? describe the damage - cone damage to paper can be fixed with varying degrees of success.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1347653365' post='1803744']
Tried repairing Peavey B/W where the cone edging had lifted from the metal frame - age caused glue to fail. It was not a good result (I am pretty fair at repairs - usually) There is a good amount of info about how to recone available - shims to set voice coil in correct position seems to be the secret. What is blown? describe the damage - cone damage to paper can be fixed with varying degrees of success.
[/quote]

Couple of times in the past I have found open circuit speakers to be a bad connection where the flexible braid is soldered to the coil, just had to melt the plastic sealant with a soldering iron and re do it. It causes a weird distortion as it makes and breaks when the cone moves. always worth a try, much cheaper than a re cone and if the cone or coil is duff you got nothing to lose.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1347653365' post='1803744']
[/quote]

Externally it's fine - guy I had it off (cheap!) said it had a "rubbing coil", and hooked up to an amp the sound is very low output and distorted

Bill - thanks I'll give that a try first. As you say, nothing to lose!

I've reconed a fair few JBL and SWR drivers but it was some years back. The kits came with shims and glue and it was a pretty straightforward job.

I used to clean the coil gap with doubled-over gaffa tape to get rid of bits of old burnt coil and lacqer.

Only one went horribly wrong - the voice coil rubbed in the gap and I don't really know why. It's possible that the coil former wasn't correctly aligned to the cone or maybe I didn't clean it carefully enough :(

Edited by dincz