Why become a member? ×

Buzzzzzzzzz

TheRev

Afternoon!

I am becomming vexed with my Eminence EUB. I'm getting a lot of buzzing (or excessive growl...) on the E string - a bit like the sort of sound you get when you aren't applying enough pressure on the string to play the note.

The buzzing is affected by string type - fully synthetic strings aren't a buzzy as metal wrapped strings. I only noticed the buzzing when my beloved Velvet Garbo strings fell off and I started experimenting with different strings.

So, my question is - do you think this is this a string problem or a setup problem? The bass came with a very good setup, but that was about three years ago so does it need a bit of luthier love? The nut is cut pretty low compared to my DB, plus, there's a deeper curve, lengthwise, to the fingerboard - but I would have thought that this would mean less buzz.

Cheers

Dave

As a first step, slip a tiny shim (a thin bit of plastic or leather perhaps) in the E nut slot and see if that changes anything. I had this issue with the A string on my DB and a small nut slot shim (try saying that after you've had a few) cured it.

Failing that, does the issue disappear if you raise the action? IIRC the Eminence has bridge adjusters. Might imply a need for re-shooting?

Edited by Clarky

• 3 months later...

It's sorted now. I changed the Velvets for a set of Daf's super silvers and at the same time gave the nut and bridge slots a good clean, cleaned the gunk off the fingerboard and checked that the bridge was seated properly on the front.
However, I suspect that the main issue was that I'd been spending most of my time playing my narrow necked DB with low tension strings, so when I picked up the Eminence, I simply wasn't man enough to stop the notes properly on the E string.

So, partly a bit of minor set-up work and partly sloppy technique.....

Edited by TheRev

I recommend you give Innovation super silvers a try when you change strings, they're lower tension than yer typical steels and the shorter sustain works well with EUBs IMHO.

Edited by TheRev