Why become a member? ×

Short vid: 1576 DB built by Gasparo da Salò

BassTractor

This db was built by Gasparo di Bertolotti, later named Gasparo da Salò, in 1576. Sadly they talk too much in the vid.

Link to Norwegian newspaper:
[url="http://www.vl.no/video/slik-hores-verdens-eldste-kontrabass-ut_1/"]http://www.vl.no/vid...ontrabass-ut_1/[/url]

bestolotti,
bertolotti

Edited by BassTractor

Looks its age but sounds beautiful - when the guys aren't speaking Norwegian over it (I can only speak a few words of Danish, which is pretty similar to Norwegian, so I was sort of picking up the odd verb or noun here and there, but I'd have preferred to hear the voice of the instrument. Well, next time.)
Luthiery was/is a traditional fine art in the north of Italy around the cities of Cremona and Brescia.
Very fascinating. Thanks Bert.

Prego, Ghiandaia azzurra.
I thought of writing down the text in English, but it seemed hardly worth it, as one just knows what's being said. "What a great sound", "They were great builders in the old days", "I'm so happy I'm allowed to play the thing", etc.

arrivederci,
alberto

Yup, just as you would expect. After all, the enjoyment of music is personal and individual, and trying to describe the quality or special character of the sound a certain instrument makes sometimes takes you into wine label territory - hilariously preposterous, meaningless waffle :D

Edited by bluejay

Ha! Wine labels :lol: Well the video editing seems to spend allot of time focussing on the strings, fingerboard and bridge (possibly the only parts Gasparo didn't fit) instead of his pioneering work on the body profile. It never rains eh, but it's nice to see any bass getting some exposure - if it inspires just one person to take up db it would be worthwhile.