Why become a member? ×

Multi FX Suggestions

BASainty

So iv been meaning to start using effects in my playing to give my sound more of an edge, I thought the best way was to go down the multi effects way (to start with) so it gives me a chance to play around with all sorts without to much fuss.

Could anyone suggest which ones to look at? From what I know Zoom seems to be a solid choice but there are loads of different models out there!

Could someone help?

Cheers.

Depends what your budget is and how much you want from it (effects/amp modeling) but there are so many to choose from, solid options being gear from Boss, Line 6 and Zoom. I love my Pod X3 Live, still finding new sounds from it after two years. They seem to go for about 200 ish on Ebay.

Edited by MarshallBTB

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking at a Zoom [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B2.1U and from what iv been told (and seen) they are a pretty solid choice.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now starts my hunt for one! [/font][/color] :D

The Line6 M9 is great value for money. I've not used any of the others mentioned (and my previous multi-fx was a Digitech BP-8!), but it's pretty smooth. Pitch effects are brilliant and the filters aren't bad either. Distortion is a bit pony, that's the only real downside. The interface itself is bonkers easy and you can plug two expression pedals into it and assign them as you like. Great pedal.

+ 1 for the M9. I have used boutique pedals for years (mainly EBS) and swapped to M9 last year. True bypass and so easy to operate. I didn't want amp modelling - the M9 is just stompbox modelling. As Johnthebassist says, distortion is not great, but I use drive on my pre-amp for this anyway. Pitch and filters and octave are very good.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I ended up going with the Zoom B2.1 in the end which I am loving so far! Now its just the question of getting my head around all these different things I can do with it lol I am surprised on how much there actually is to these things in the sense of versatility and the options they give you.

Anyway thanks again for all your suggestions and I hope this can also help anyone else who is looking to get into effects and multi effects.

I use a Zoom B2.1u and it's a great bit of kit when you get to know it. The presets are a bit Marmite but a good starting point for creating your own sounds.
I tend to use mine more for tone shaping rather than anything else and have different banks set up for both fretted and fretless. I can leave my amp flat all night and just use different patches to change the sounds , anything from a double bass to a Ricky. Having a volume pedal is also very handy.
I hope you have as much fun making sounds as I have.

PS I find that the compressor is rubbish and leave it off all my patches.

Edited by pikeman