Why become a member? ×

Dane Alderson solo on Brown Sugar by D'Angelo

stonecoldbass

Hey guys,
Been a big fan of Dane's playing since I saw him at the Victor Wooten clinic in Melbourne a few years back and then also saw him tearing it up at a jam session during the jazz fest.
Here he is giving an absolute master class in soloing but keeping the pocket. And he's playing what looks like a Pino sig bass (might not be though) instead of his usual 'fusionesque' Pavel Custom.
Utterly amazing I think!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrcZ_QQaEM[/media]

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1347486960' post='1801649']
It's pace and structure remind me a little of the solo on Everything is Everything.
[/quote]

Yeh well spotted. Both are real master classes in improv. The Everything is Everything wasnt one take though and was spliced together from different nights of the tour.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1347518463' post='1801823']
Yeh well spotted. Both are real master classes in improv. The Everything is Everything wasnt one take though and was spliced together from different nights of the tour.
[/quote]
I thought the the seperate songs on "Live" were taken from two different nights, not seperate parts of each song as it were, especially snipets of "that" solo being spliced and joined together. Surely not ?

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1347518871' post='1801824']

I thought the the seperate songs on "Live" were taken from different nights, not seperate parts of each song as it were, especially snipets of "that" solo being spliced and joined together. Surely not ?
[/quote]

I know it sounds unlikely but I'm pretty sure that the solo was spliced post production. I think it was in the Bass Player mag which had the full transcription of the track. I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure.

I can't belive they could do that as its not to track and the tempos would have to be bang on. However I'm pretty sure that was the story. I will try and check the mag.