Why become a member? ×

Lots of basses look so similar?

Chambo

[quote name='Chambo' timestamp='1347012634' post='1795924']
Just looking at the Tanglewood Canyons that are under £150, and it occurred to me that these look just like the Hudson brand and some Corts too. Are they just the same thing?
[/quote]

Basically yes.
The Tanglewood & Hudson stuff are definitely related (Tanglewood were a brand owned by the guy that owns Cranes in Cardiff & so are Hudson) & I think they (and many other cheap import lines) are built in the Cort factory

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1347014088' post='1795951']
Basically yes.
The Tanglewood & Hudson stuff are definitely related (Tanglewood were a brand owned by the guy that owns Cranes in Cardiff & so are Hudson) & I think they (and many other cheap import lines) are built in the Cort factory
[/quote]

though so is Lakland, Squier and Fender built in Cort factories so Cort doesn't necessarily mean cheap ;)

I had a [b][i]Hudson[size=4] [color=#4D4D4D][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PB4 Project Bass[/font][/color] [/size][/i][/b][color=#4D4D4D][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]pictured below.[/font][/color]

[color=#4D4D4D][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It was a really well made bass, played and sounded great, and a great looker too, but t[/font][/color][color=#4D4D4D][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]he only thing I didn't like, was that it just would not sit right on my lap when playing seated, which is something I do quite a lot at home.[/font][/color]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347015250' post='1795984']
though so is Lakland, Squier and Fender built in Cort factories so Cort doesn't necessarily mean cheap ;)
[/quote]

By "Cheap" I meant "Inexpensive", not "crap quality" *

[color=#000000]* PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANY OF THE BASSES THAT LukeRFC HAS MENTIONED IN THE ABOVE QUOTED POST, JUST THE ONES REFERRED TO BY THE OP. [/color]

Edited by RhysP

A lot of the price comes with the name, its a bit like cars, for instance Skodas are made in a VW factory so you get the same build quality but because of the name the Skoda will be cheaper.
Iv played a few Tanglewood and Hudson basses and both seem great to me although with the Hudson you can get models in different wood types and stuff but its mostly cosmetic differences.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1347037357' post='1796352']
A lot of the price comes with the name, its a bit like cars, for instance Skodas are made in a VW factory so you get the same build quality but because of the name the Skoda will be cheaper.
Iv played a few Tanglewood and Hudson basses and both seem great to me although with the Hudson you can get models in different wood types and stuff but its mostly cosmetic differences.
[/quote]
I don't really agree with this as afaik no bass companies make there cheap versions in the same factory as the expensive ones (maybe some Japanese ones?). Squiers are not made in the USA factory and badged Squier in the same way cars are. Doesn't make them bad basses I just don't agree with the analogy :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1347037823' post='1796357']
Are Lakland skylines cheap at £1250? :o
[/quote]

For f***s sake, it wasn't me who mentioned Laklands! Are you stupid?
When I said cheap, or whatever word you personally deem suitable, I was talking about the budget instruments the OP originally mentioned.
Is that easy enough for you to understand? :angry:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1347038410' post='1796368']
Very sorry I will try again with your own quote, so Lakland Skylines are inexpensive at £1250? Better?
[/quote]
No, you're still being seriously thick, and are now trying to be a smartarse by trying to make out I said something I didn't.
I was clarifying what I meant by "Cheap", and was referring to budget instruments made by the Cort factories - I at no time used this in relation to Laklands or any other f***ing bass that the OP didn't mention. Why anybody would think I meant the Lakland Skyline range when I said "cheap" I cannot imagine.
Why are you finding this difficult, do you have a plate in your head or something?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1347014088' post='1795951']
Basically yes.
[/quote]

I was wondering why Cranes in Swansea has loads of Hudsons on display.