Why become a member? ×

Cheap Bass to DESTROY....meahahahaha

Deep Down

What kind of price would you say you would be willing to pay on a cheap bass to use to learn how to set up the truss rod, play with the action paint note names on the neck to learn where they are?? I've seen a few on EBay for around £60 -70, and wondered what they were like??

[quote name='Deep Down' post='189734' date='May 1 2008, 02:04 PM']What kind of price would you say you would be willing to pay on a cheap bass to use to learn how to set up the truss rod, play with the action paint note names on the neck to learn where they are?? I've seen a few on EBay for around £60 -70, and wondered what they were like??[/quote]

You don't need to buy new for that - in fact if you want to learn about setup by experimenting you might be better off with something someone's already buggered up!

Get down your local car boot - you'll likely pick up something for £10 - £20, failing that keep an eye on Gumtree & local classifieds.

Jon.

[quote name='sam_' post='189796' date='May 1 2008, 03:49 PM']i have an old wesley that i need to get rid of ;D just put strings on it badly too, sound perfect right?![/quote]
Sam I've PM'd you cos I'm looking for a cheap bass too!! :)

[quote name='Deep Down' post='189734' date='May 1 2008, 02:04 PM']What kind of price would you say you would be willing to pay on a cheap bass to use to learn how to set up the truss rod, play with the action paint note names on the neck to learn where they are?? I've seen a few on EBay for around £60 -70, and wondered what they were like??[/quote]

Look locally - I just picked up a Peavey Milestone III for peanuts. Will probably break it up and sell it as parts - I don't have any qualms about doing this with an entry level, mass produced bass. It's when people do it to vintage instruments it makes me sad.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='thedarxide' post='189921' date='May 1 2008, 07:25 PM']Here ya go, £30:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Metal-X-bass-guitar-Black_W0QQitemZ290227191851QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Metal-X-bas...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]
I've missed it by 2 sodding minutes :) :huh:

My Dad found this horror at a Car Boot Sale this morning -

- It came in a job lot with a couple of guitars he figured I could use for projects. Don't know (and don't intend to find out) if it works. Was gonna fleabay it tonite 'as is' but if you, or anyone else, reckon it's of any use then let me know and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.

I'm particularly liking the 2-tone effect... It looks like they took the trouble to mask it off, then spray it with aerosol..!

I haven't had a chance to lift the scratchplate yet, but the pots still seem to be in there. Dreading what else I might find though :)

KotS

I wanted a cheap bass to kill myself not one that needs resurrecting from the dead from the start.....LOL. It's a nice project for someone but I'll pass this time thanks for the offer though. Anyway I think that I might have bagged myself a cheap 5 string that Wullapache is flogging so I'm happy!!

That's what I figured... :)

My original intention was to post this as a freak show in it's own right, then clocked the title of your post. Didn't want to [i]not[/i] make the offer, though.

I've since had a look under the (aluminium..?) scratchplate, and while there are 2 pots and a jack socket, I'm not confident that they actually do much.

KotS

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='191731' date='May 4 2008, 06:26 PM']That's what I figured... :huh:

My original intention was to post this as a freak show in it's own right, then clocked the title of your post. Didn't want to [i]not[/i] make the offer, though.

I've since had a look under the (aluminium..?) scratchplate, and while there are 2 pots and a jack socket, I'm not confident that they actually do much.

KotS[/quote]
Thanks for the thought, maybe deep down will want a crack at it!! The neck looks a bit ropey too :) Amazing what you can find at the whole boot sale though if you're prepared to hunt.

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='191628' date='May 4 2008, 03:25 PM']My Dad found this horror at a Car Boot Sale this morning -

- It came in a job lot with a couple of guitars he figured I could use for projects. Don't know (and don't intend to find out) if it works. Was gonna fleabay it tonite 'as is' but if you, or anyone else, reckon it's of any use then let me know and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.

I'm particularly liking the 2-tone effect... It looks like they took the trouble to mask it off, then spray it with aerosol..!

I haven't had a chance to lift the scratchplate yet, but the pots still seem to be in there. Dreading what else I might find though :)

KotS[/quote]

where's the control cavity on that? is it a clear pickguard (that's what it looks like) or one just a bit deeper colour than the body?

Edited by lwtait