Why become a member? ×

Warwick Bridge

Doddy

I've been using my Warwick Streamer LX for pretty much everything since I bought it.It's a
great instrument,but I have one small gripe with the bridge.
When I string the bass up,everything is fine until I get to the E and B strings. The E string ball end just about fits in the anchor point of the bridge,and the B string only fits if the ball end sits about a half
inch or so behind the actual bridge. Has anyone else ever come across this problem before? I never had this issue on my old Corvette.
(Out of interest I'm using Elites strings,obviously, .45-.130.)

Yes, it's an established problem that's been commented on the Warwick forum a few times. The official recommendation is to always buy tapered strings. The unofficial recommendation is to file the tailpiece a bit to make the groove bigger. My personal recommendation is to play 4-string ;)

W bridges from the mid nineties are terrible. The gaps are simply to small! The 5 and 6 string versions are also prone to collapse under the force of the strings.

I drilled my B string side to make the gap bigger but ended up deciding to just get a new bridge. The current ones are a lot better and do not have these problems at all.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1346856938' post='1794094']
Yes, it's an established problem that's been commented on the Warwick forum a few times. The official recommendation is to always buy tapered strings. The unofficial recommendation is to file the tailpiece a bit to make the groove bigger. My personal recommendation is to play 4-string ;)
[/quote]
Alright.Thanks for that.
I'd already thought about filing the tailpiece,because I prefer untapered strings.

I can't just play 4 strings...A lot of the people I work for write for 5 :)

I had the same with my fretted and fretless 5s (Rockbasses). I installed D'Addario Chromes on both and, since the problem wasn't as bad as yours (only a couple of millimetres out of place), I decided to strip the B and E strings of their silk and only slightly file the B strings so that they would fit fully.

But yes, it's a known PITA in older Warwicks; they've finally changed the design of the bridge to cure it.