Why become a member? ×

A compressor in the Loop?

Highfox

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348216630' post='1810862']
If its a one knob compressor on an amp (or pretty much anywhere else) avoid it, because so many choices about how you play must have been hardwired (literally) into the design of the thing. Attack time, Release time, threshold or ratio, and make up gain must all be automated (the knob either controls the ratio with a fixed threshold, or the threshold with a fixed ratio, or in some predetermined way manipulates both at the same time - predetermined meaning unsuitable in all cases IME).

The chances are very slight that any such compressor will really work well for you. And you are right to think you may be over compressing, how could you tell though, since there is no metering on the useless thing.

They are the devils spawn of hell in terms of compressors - especially nastily done ones stuck into amps to make you fiddle about with an inadequate and space/money/time wasting extra knob on your amp.

Leave it off if it is in any way less than 100% convincing to you.

My advice, don't bother with it, its almost certainly cr4p....
[/quote]

Thanks. I dimly suspected it of being the devils spawn of hell, but couldn't quite face the reality. Off it stays.

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='benthos' timestamp='1348219085' post='1810919']
I'm not sure of the efficacy of running a compressor in the loop as you'd get both compressed and uncompressed signals to the amp, which to my mind defeats the object of what a compressor is trying to achieve, but finer minds that me may be able to shed more light/correct my line of thinking :D
[/quote]

Well what you have described there in fact is parallel compression, whereby the signal is split, one side is compressed and then the signals are mixed together again.

This is a technique used a huge amount in recording, for all sorts of things. On an entire stereo buss, on a subgroup (like the drums for instance), on individual drums, or the bass.

Adding eq to the sidechain input to accentuate certain areas, or filter out stuff that you dont want to affect the parallel compression is done too: depending on what you compress like this, and the type of filtering done, you can get overall effects known as Motown Compression (on vocals) or New York compression (on the entire mix) - they are completely different results based upon the same idea.

The reason to do it is you can compress the compressed side really hard, slamming the nuts off it if you so desire, and mix it back in a little with the uncompressed signal (or quite alot), the result retains alot of the natural feel of the original uncompressed signal, but adds a lot of the good stuff compression brings (fattening up, musical pumping, whatever depending on the settings you use).

Its a very very valid technique, which does need a bit more control than a straight 50/50 split to get the best effect from, which can be done still with judicious use of the makeup gain on the compression side on the MB amps.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348488865' post='1814169']
Well what you have described there in fact is parallel compression, whereby the signal is split, one side is compressed and then the signals are mixed together again.
<snip>
Its a very very valid technique, which does need a bit more control than a straight 50/50 split to get the best effect from, which can be done still with judicious use of the makeup gain on the compression side on the MB amps.
[/quote]
Thanks for the explanation - I can certainly see the value of its application in a studio context and the more I thought about it, I realised that's the way I've been recorded in the past! I wonder how much noticeable improvement you would get with parallel compression in a live bass playing situation vs. sticking it in line.

They are different.

They produce different side effects, give you different results, neither is better all the time, either has different merits.

As ever, experiment use your ears, and listen critically, preferrably to recordings of each to determine which you prefer the sound of, and try and see if you prefer the 'feel' of playing one more than they other.

There is no fixed definitive answer I'm afraid.

I like it in line personally - oo-errrrr!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348129296' post='1809582']
I run a Focusrite Compunder in my loop.
[/quote]

One of these? [url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/focusrite-voicemaster-platinum-compounder-analogue-comp-noise-gate/109101547#gallery-item-full-1"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/focusrite-voicemaster-platinum-compounder-analogue-comp-noise-gate/109101547#gallery-item-full-1[/url]

Looks complicated.... :huh:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348494652' post='1814283']
They are different.

They produce different side effects, give you different results, neither is better all the time, either has different merits.
[/quote]
I'll try and resist the temptation to tweak. I already get enough 'no information' looks, mostly from guitarists, when folks first encounter the TC compressor (never mind the rest of the pedal-board, with some fx in line and some via a Wounded Paw Blender) :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348494652' post='1814283']
I like it in line personally - oo-errrrr!
[/quote]
Yup, I positively love it in line, with the ability to alternate between soft and hard (knee) at my whim :laugh1:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1348500357' post='1814394']
One of these? [url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/focusrite-voicemaster-platinum-compounder-analogue-comp-noise-gate/109101547#gallery-item-full-1"]http://www.gumtree.c...ery-item-full-1[/url]

Looks complicated.... :huh:
[/quote]

Not really, its a stereo compressor, so you use one side or the other (or both, but lets keep it simple for now!). That halves the controls in one go!

It has a noise gate/expander on the front or each channel, which I dont use (two knobs I don't twiddle).

It has a single knob limiter (nothing wrong with those) that I do use, to catch any nasty spikes after the compressor section. But the metering is adequate so its trivial to set up.

It has threshold, ratio, attack, release and a bass knob in the comrpessor. Which is one more knob than a normal compressor and that knob basically allows a little bit of parallel compression in the low end (ie its a bit like a bass boost knob).

So you have a standard compressor, plus a bit of bass boost, into a one knob limiter.

And if you come to the SE Bass Bash I will show you how to set up such a beast in about 5 minutes.....

[quote name='benthos' timestamp='1348502779' post='1814436']
I'll try and resist the temptation to tweak. I already get enough 'no information' looks, mostly from guitarists, when folks first encounter the TC compressor (never mind the rest of the pedal-board, with some fx in line and some via a Wounded Paw Blender) :D

Yup, I positively love it in line, with the ability to alternate between soft and hard (knee) at my whim :laugh1:
[/quote]

Well they are guitarists.....

Oooh soft knee or hard knee, now that is a good question - matroooonnnn!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1348131209' post='1809613']
[i]I think there might a very useful blog post in here somewhere 5im0n, as it is definately something to look at when recording as well as in a live environment.[/i]

Personally, i don't use one, though i did think that the built in one in the Line6 Lowdown series was damn good for a 1 knob compressor, too bad it was always kicking in when i was using that amp as it lacked what i needed so i had to crank it. Definately made a big difference when i was after a really punchy tone a few years ago though.

Liam
[/quote]

Blog post now up

http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/