Why become a member? ×

7 String fretless mods. Pre-amp advice?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Received a 7 string fret-less bass from German Ebay.

It is actually quite impressive player, but I reckon it could be better!

35Inch scale.
Kent Armstrong pups.
Wilkinson hardware.
D'addario strings.

Anyway. Decided to ditch the Kent Armstrongs (Though they sound good, one of the screws is really badly stripped and try as I might will probably have to be broken to get out.)

I have ordered some custom SGD Lutherie 7 string pickups. I have asked the guy to get me an aggressive Ken Smith Hi-Fi tone with exposed blades that are notched end to end.

I have also ordered a new one piece hipshot bridge, the string spacing is right at 16.5mm. However will probably have to recess the bridge into the body to get the action low enough as there is no suitable low profile bridge suitable for this bass.

The fretboard will lightly sanded to get rid of the current string marks and finished in epoxy to protect it.

Thinking about getting some front facing inlays installed as well because I get really lost on something this big! Not sure what type of inlays as I find they look ugly on a lined fret-less bass.

I also want to buy a preamp and was hoping on a Glock one, but the seller pulled out on the deal. Anyone got ideas on a 5 knob pre-amp?

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1346545576' post='1790513']
The fretboard will lightly sanded to get rid of the current string marks and finished in epoxy to protect it.

Thinking about getting some front facing inlays installed as well because I get really lost on something this big! Not sure what type of inlays as I find they look ugly on a lined fret-less bass.
[/quote]

If you are epoxy coating the board anyway, you could stick a comic book page to it or anything like that.