Why become a member? ×

RetroVIBE basses - I don't need one but...

mcnach

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1346575042' post='1790608']
I had the RV4. It looked like a rickenbacker with music man pickups.
It was an excellent bass. I used it in a Jam tribute band while I was depping for them.
Sold it recently. Very hard to sell as that annoying bloke ( I won't bother to name check him, he doesn't deserve it) from rickenbacker kept getting my ad pulled from ebay.
But the new ones do look interesting. Familiar but different
[/quote]

I liked the look of the RV4. I've been looking at the RetroVibes since they first arrived with the nice looking Jazz types.
But I think I like this one better as it's got that odd "it's very familiar, but not quite the same" vibe about it.
And I think that bright red and maple with black hardware is just :gas:

If I don't like it enough to play it much... I'll still use it for our next music video :lol:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1346578179' post='1790646']
It's a shame the five-string only comes in black, otherwise I'd be a bit tempted. They'd be a great candidate for a DIY stingray/sabre type preamp too,
[/quote]

I like the way your mind thinks...

I happen to have a DIY Stingray, (2-band) and a 3-band Seymour Duncan Stingray type preamp too... The 2-band is meant to go into my OLP, but the other...

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346580092' post='1790678']
I'd post pictures of mine,but I don't want the site to get in trouble...The only flaw I found was the selector switch,easily replaced.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't expect it to be flawless. They rarely are at this price range... although I've had some great non-expensive instruments that can be a lot of fun. I would not be surprised for it to require some mild fretwork, and then switches/pots/output sockets... are hit or miss. They me absolutely fine, but sometimes you get the odd malfunctioning one. Still, easy to replace.

I think this kind of instruments is not always what I'd recommend someone who is not happy getting "dirty" with set ups and working on the bass. But if you know your way around a guitar... they can be a lot of fun.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1346582616' post='1790724']
They need a rosewood board and block inlays to look the part really or at least a tinted neck, liked the green one though
[/quote]

I love maple boards, but you are right, if the maple one were yellow tinted... it would earn some serious extra sexy points.

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1346588456' post='1790830']
Dammit good point - I could edit but bin quoted twice now tho so in for a penny... Anyway made it thru the night, cold turkey wearing off, I think I'm past the worst of the GAS now as long as JOSE DOESN'T POST A PIC WHEN IT ARRIVES.
[/quote]

tic... tac... tic... tac... ;)

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1346613493' post='1791256']
Looks to me like the MM pickup is in the Stingray spot, could be a prime candidate for the 'ol East preamp, or the SD, Nord and homebrew versions.
[/quote]

Indeed.
Although an MM pickup a bit closer to the bridge is also pretty nice, more "Jazz bridge" in that case, as in my Cort GB74.

If I like the bass enough to see myself using it a lot, I'll put the 3-band SD preamp I have (stingray style).
If I like it A LOT, I'll put a homebrew 2-band plus a John East Midsweep module.

I just hope they don't come out with a fretless version of this... because I'd find it quite hard to resist.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1346679331' post='1791826']
Indeed.
Although an MM pickup a bit closer to the bridge is also pretty nice, more "Jazz bridge" in that case, as in my Cort GB74.

If I like the bass enough to see myself using it a lot, I'll put the 3-band SD preamp I have (stingray style).
If I like it A LOT, I'll put a homebrew 2-band plus a John East Midsweep module.

I just hope they don't come out with a fretless version of this... because I'd find it quite hard to resist.
[/quote]

The GB's position is nice too, and a million times better with an East SR(:)), but it'd be very interesting to see what'd happen with this. Stingray sound, Ricky body, Fender neck, mind ******. :D

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1346916591' post='1794709']
:D how far away is the depot from you?
[/quote]

shut up!!! I already thought of that!!! :lol:

I keep checking the ParcelForce tracking page... I don't have to, I am getting it delivered at work and the guys receiving deliveries know me and I told them about this, so they'll call me the minute it arrives... but I still refresh the page.

Tonight I'm busy... but nothing will stop me from unpacking it and having a quick play on it. :)