Why become a member? ×

To stuff or not to stuff

Big_Stu

After reading quite a lot recently about the use of stuffing in bass cabs I'm thinking of using some in my cabs; the hesitation has been that I kinda assumed that main manufacturers such as Hiwatt and Marshall would have put it in if they thought it was needed; I doubt they would have skimped on cost. Or - was it that it wasn't thought of at the time?

I know there's a lot of smoke, mirrors & pseudo-science involved - or CAN be involved sometimes - but since it's a low cost option I'm seriously thinking of doing it.
Cabs involved are a Hiwatt Hylight 4122, guitar & bass 4 x 12 with original Fanes and a Marshall JCM 2 x 15" with Eminence Deltas.
What I really don't want - and would it remove immediately, would be if the cabs lost any of their top end. My custom bass has massive range - and is toppy (which I like). So if any of that top was muffled out by the foam it would be right out of there.
However, if it shows the Hiwatt head off at it's best it would be ideal for demonstration purposes because I'm planning on selling it on.
There is one of those suppliers of many & various cut to size foams near me, does it HAVE to be acoustic foam, if so do Maplins sell it, if not - who?

Thoughts & qualified opinions gratefully received.

Stuff them and use this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foam-Egg-Box-Mixed-Pack-Profile-Foam-Sheets-10-20-pcs-/360483949739?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item53ee848cab&_uhb=1#ht_2303wt_1403. Just staple it in and if you don't like it you can just remove but I'm sure you'll like the less boomy sound.

Stuffing is for sealed cabs, lining is for ported cabs. The only affect it should have on the top end is smoothing out the ugly bit where the reflection from the back cancels the output from the cone and gives notch, and a bump where the opposite happens.

Marshall were historically big on cheaping out, so it would be more they wouldn't do it if they could get away with not doing it.

Thanks for all the answers, yeah, that "egg box" foam is sold at the local place; it's quite firm which I thought would suit the purpose better.

Both cabs are ported, the Hiwatt with a rear slot & the Marshall with front round ports.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1346373476' post='1788586']
Fiberglass insulation is a big scary because the vibration makes it shed fibers of glass, which fire out of the port, and are a bit unhealthy.
[/quote]
[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1346269781' post='1787342']
Stuffing is for sealed cabs, lining is for ported cabs. The only affect it should have on the top end is smoothing out the ugly bit where the reflection from the back cancels the output from the cone and gives notch, and a bump where the opposite happens.

Marshall were historically big on cheaping out, so it would be more they wouldn't do it if they could get away with not doing it.
[/quote]

Yeah, see your point. The old coarse fibre glass stuff might be a bit dodgy. Didnt mean for ported cabs though.

Never having owned a foamed cab; is the whole of the inside covered, including rear baffle & around the speaker cones?
They sell the stuff GregBass linked to on our local market off a roll - presumably for duvets/cushions, though I'm inclined to the egg-box foam.

The car audio guys mainly gravitate to the stuffing from IKEA pillows. (Though I've never been sure why they're so brand-specific!)

In a sealed cab, legend has it that a 30-50% fill has the effect of making the driver "think" the cab volume is 10% bigger than it really is. Obviously, this could be designed in, to make the cab smaller.

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1346827542' post='1793613']
In a sealed cab, legend has it that a 30-50% fill has the effect of making the driver "think" the cab volume is 10% bigger than it really is. Obviously, this could be designed in, to make the cab smaller.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, I wasn't thinking of nearly as much as that! Is maybe the legend thinking of pillows in bass drums?