Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Lakland/Prose Custom 5

lowregisterhead

Hi all

I've finally decided to sell what has turned out to be a gem of a bass that had passed unchanged through the hands of at least 3 Basschatters, until it came to me. As I understand it, it started life as a bit of a project, with a spare neck from a Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline that had developed a small split behind the nut from the truss rod being overtightened. A Paul Rose body was added to it, along with a Schaller bridge, a couple of Bartolini pickups, and some rather oversized Korean tuners. It showed promise, but was never really completed. It then spent some time under the ownership of the aforementioned forum members, and I bought it on impulse last year, thinking it might be worth investing some time and money in.

It had problems - the tuners were huge and heavy, unbalancing the whole bass. The pickups had a nice variety of tones, but were pretty weak. The bridge was just too narrow, with nowhere near the spacing needed for the neck. The split in the neck, although unsightly, was stable, but the first thing I did was source a replacement - I figured that if I was going to sink cash into it and if I ever wanted to sell it, the split would make it virtually unsaleable, at least for the kind of money I'd need to recoup my outlay.

Luckily I came across a brand new JO neck online, and asked the wonderful Martin Petersen at The Gallery to fit it, along with a set of Hipshot Ultralite tuners, a new ABM bridge strung through the body, and an Aguilar OPB-2 preamp. Martin finished it off with an inspired 'teardrop' scratchplate to echo the Stingray-like tones it's capable of producing. I also had Martin sculpt the body to make it more comfortable, and a little lighter.

It now plays beautifully, sounds fantastic, and looks really striking IMHO, but sadly I have to 'thin out the herd' a bit, and so very unwillingly I need to sell it. The price is [s]£750[/s] [s]£700[/s] £650 plus shipping, or it can be collected from near junction 10 of the M25.

Dave

NOW SOLD - THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST

Edited by lowregisterhead

I remember playing this bass once in Denmark st....Wunjo's I think, can't quite remember (they all look the same over there)!

Was a really nice bass which I was very close to buying at the time! (unless it was a different but eerily similar bass)!

[quote name='davebass66' timestamp='1346189018' post='1786406']
I remember playing this bass once in Denmark st....Wunjo's I think, can't quite remember (they all look the same over there)!

Was a really nice bass which I was very close to buying at the time! (unless it was a different but eerily similar bass)!
[/quote]

Dunno Dave - could have been!

The first two stacked controls are individual volumes for the two pickups, so they can be run individually or blended. The second two stacked controls are treble and bass cut/boost. The switch is preamp in/out. There's no passive tone control, but with the eq set flat, switching in the preamp makes no discernible difference to level or tone - it's really transparent. The more I describe this bass, the more I think I must be mad selling it! And yes Graham, the mods weren't cheap. I'm actually losing a bit overall selling at this price.

I'll try and put up something on YouTube so you can hear what it sounds like.

Dave