Why become a member? ×

replacing volume control

Mod_Machine

Last bar last song on sunday the volume seemed to dip substantially...twisted the volume down and back up and it returned but nees to sort before my gig on sat....i had also noticed a really distant distortion in the notes earlier that day which would be erradicated by flicking the volune knob so should have guesses it was going.
Any recommendations on what to get or is any old pot from from maplins ok?
Also does the fault sound like its the volune pot or capacitor and tone pot replacement too?
Finally ddnt someone on here do a full straight replacement set...no soldering required? if so does anyone know who and how much?

If it's a 'fender' style bass with passive, single coil pickups (long and thin instead of long and fat), or a P bass or copy then the pot will be 250kΩ Log (A type), if it's got humbuckers then it'll most likely be 500kΩ Log.

You can get them from Maplin for about a pound or a better quality pot from http://www.doctortweek.co.uk for roughly half the price. I'm not sure that there is a way of replacing volume pots without soldering.

If you're unsure about the work involved then I'd recommend taking it to a reputable technician (or see if there's a fellow Basschatter nearby who has done this soret of thing before). It's not a complicated job, but it can be a bit daunting if it's your first attempt - and there's a deadline involved.

Hope this helps.

Check the pickup as well by unsoldering the hot lead to make sure it has a steady DC resistance reading consistent with the type of pickup. Then before you replace the potentiometer, first try the slightest application of contact cleaner to make sure it isn't just a speck of crud. If it does turn out to be the pot, don't skimp. In the USA CTS is the standard. Bournes is another good brand; I prefer the CTS because of their longevity. Many original '50's and '60's vintage instruments still function on their original CTS pots.

As far as replacement: I've even done a replacement during the 15 minute between set breaks in the middle of a gig before. But you do have to know what you are doing.

Edited by iiipopes

I've noticed some faulty cables can lead to dips in volume, but yes pots are usually the culprit since they're the least durable in the signal chain. Without changing anything, you can try spraying some switch cleaner into the openings on the back of the pot to see if it remedies it.

Cheers all.
It a fender mustang pickup so that pot sounds the job. Absolutely fine with soldering....what i meant was that someone on here does a little unit already soldered to gether with good quality transistors and pots and wiring....all you do is order the while replacement set and just solder in the pickup.

Havent got anything to check how hot the pick up is, but its not an original fender pot im currently running, just a cheap squire replacement so not aurprised its going....

Worth changing the tone pot and anything else while im in there? im popping over to maplin later.