Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street.

allighatt0r

[quote name='bassaussie' post='191712' date='May 4 2008, 05:56 PM']As for the rest, yeah,Wunjo's is probably the pick of the bunch, although they're still very expensive. I doubt I'd ever spend money in Denmark Street.[/quote]

Brian at Wunjo will always do deals on things in the shop. A lot of the time you don't even have to ask.

[quote name='The Funk' post='191740' date='May 4 2008, 06:37 PM']Brian at Wunjo will always do deals on things in the shop. A lot of the time you don't even have to ask.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm in there I'll keep that in mind. I just assumed their pricing would be similar to the rest of Denmark Street.

The joke is that Denmark St ponce about like they're shops for pro musicians and anyone else is a tyrekicker. Last time I looked though, pro musicians got their the bulk of their stuff for free under sponsorship deals, so it's you and me that buy stuff.

So, why the attitude?

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='191771' date='May 4 2008, 07:04 PM']So, why the attitude?[/quote]

Because they're not really shop assistants ... they're either struggling wannabe musicians or failed has-been musicians, and they're all paid peanuts.

[quote name='Sibob' post='189978' date='May 1 2008, 08:31 PM']I also wanna be there when tBBC asks the question!! :-D, am only just outside london with constant jaunts in.

Maybe we should mount an 'intervention', all of us just turn up....."you know how you're perceived??"

haha

Si[/quote]

Nuts! I was just going to suggest that!

In fairness to the Bass Cellar, in 2002ish I bought a Kubicki from them, great discounted price, and he kept throwing lots of extra's in. This was the older baldy guy?

I have had a bad experience with The Bass Gallery, in terms of their customer service, but most folks on here who know them seem to love them.

Horses for courses and all that?

[quote name='Rich' post='190423' date='May 2 2008, 12:32 PM']That's what was so great about the Bass Centre (RIP) back in the Wapping glory days of the late 80s... you'd wander in there and a guy would approach you and the first thing he'd say after 'hello' was "Is there anything you'd like to try?". That's [i]try[/i], not buy. It was always kid/sweetshop time in there. I remember going in there once and telling him what I wanted from a bass... he sat me down at a Trace amp, pointed me at the free coffee m/c, and then brought me [i]fifteen [/i]different basses to try, gave me all the time I wanted, and never once prodded me for a decision or showed any sign of impatience... ahhh man, those were the days... :)[/quote]
I was working near the Bass Centre one Saturday in 1999, so I popped round to look at the acoustic guitars in the back. I arrived after 9am but found the place wasn't open until 10. However, a guy was carrying boxes out into the street -- and he waved me inside with a cheery "try anything you like".

So I sat for an hour on my own playing their hand-made stock in the humidified 'conservatory' place at the back. Not much there under a couple of grand.

And I bought a beauty which I still have. The bloke's attitude was an exercise in how to sell stuff.

Cheers

Mark

Perhaps the same bloke that served me in '99 when i bought a MIM Jazz and Trace Elliott combo there, all for a pretty reasonable price. However, a couple of years ago, i bought another bass there and the sales assistant dropped the bass on the floor right in front of me, seconds after i had said i'd buy it :)