Why become a member? ×

Squeaky Weedwackers.

Maude

Hello,

Firstly I'm new to Uprights so go easy on me please :D .

I have a Harley Benton 500 EUB which I bought to play some rockabilly on and give myself a new challenge, learning upright.
I have done a lot of reading on here and on TB but haven't really found anyone has my problem. I do realise it could be technique but I'm pretty certain it's the strings.
Anyway, the problem is a lot, and I mean an unacceptable amount, of finger noise. It's not the normal finger noise from sliding or right hand noise, but more of a problem when I release the strings from my left hand, it's as if it's too grippy and they 'stick' to my fingers so I get a kind of squeak, sort of. There is a lot of hollow sounding noise which is all being amplified by the chambered body and peizos, it wasn't like it with the stock steel strings, only when I fitted some Slap Happy Weedwackers so that's why I don't think it's me.
I've read about folks lightly sanding wackers to make them more bowable (I think) and I wondered if lightly sanding the strings over the FB area would help them not to feel tacky. You would think being smooth would be better but it's that kind of clean plate squeak I'm getting so thought slightly rougher could be better.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem with Weedwackers?
Apart from this they sound better than the stock strings, a lot deeper and more suited to my needs.

Allan.

Thanks Steve,

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, it's not a glossy finish at all, it's a very dark brown matt finish which I can see the wood grain through. Wether that's the natural wood colour or a stain I wouldn't like to say.

If I gently run my finger over the string, as if plucking in slow motion, I get the same noise as my finger grips it and makes it resonate, I can get a arco sound from it if I use the length of my finger.
I may run some 'Fast Fret' over them before sanding, lubricating should hopefully stop it if it is the strings although obviously it won't be permanent.

Those slap happy weedwackers are very grippy strings - pretty awful actually, mine were like playing with washing line. Be careful of your fingers as well as they put a lot of strain on your joints and tendons with the extra sideways load caused by gripping when you slide

Weedehackers are for the strimmer not the bass,simple as that. People got into them to solve the string tension problem for slapping, for they work. But that stuff was never made to produce a musical note , everyone who uses somr type of weedwhacker has a complaint of some sort...the low E has no defenition theA string is too quiet etc.
The conclusion I came to a long time ago is that they just dont work.
Simple answer is to buy some guts, they were actualy designed to be put on s double bass!!!
I dont mean this to sound harsh, but Ive been through every string out there, so over time you learn a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using these [url="http://www.freewebstore.org/superiorbassworks/Superior_Bassworks_Deluxe_Strings_Dirty_Gut/p693784_6219678.aspx"]http://www.freewebstore.org/superiorbassworks/Superior_Bassworks_Deluxe_Strings_Dirty_Gut/p693784_6219678.aspx[/url]

love 'em to bits,real old school sound & mega easy to slap too.

The problem is the weedwackers, as you've described, as the previous steel strings were fine. I tried a HB EUB with weedwackers once and found the strings very sticky. The weedwackers are also quite thick compared to steels and may thus not seat properly, increasing the extraneous noise. I wouldn't advise changing to guts as that'll cost more than the EUB itself. There are plenty of other options for other strings that'll be suitable for slap. A lot of guys recommend Innovations (silver slaps and the like) which are low tension and more regular gauge, as well as reasonably priced. Someone may have some spare strings which you could 'borrow' ti try as an alternative.

the Superior's come in a set of six strings so you can pick the gauge you want & the ones i fitted are the same gauge as the Innovation super silvers i was previously using.
mind the super silvers were a lot bigger than the stock steels that came on my bass,it's nothing a good man with a needle file can't sort out.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1346940678' post='1795097']
Those 'Superiors' look great. Will try those myself when the current Roto's need changing. I presume they're similar to the Roto RS4000 D & G?
[/quote]

I've not used the Roto's before so I can't comment on that,sorry but over on doublebasschat they reckon they are a copy of the old Lambert deluxe's which seem to be raved about over there.
but the Superiors are indeed very good strings,i love them to bits & cheap as chips too :)
they give a much nicer click than the innovations did,i always thought the inno's sounded very "plastic" where as these have a real old school "gut" sound to them.

Edited by artisan

That's great thanks. I'll be giving them a try when I need to change strings. I like the D&G on the RS4000's which have a nice click, similar to what you describe. I'd like to get the same effect on the E&A (the Roto's are steel wrapped nylon E/A). Suppose I could get a set of Superiors and just change the E&A for now :)

Edited by zero9

Thanks for all the advice :) .

I appreciate that real guts would be better but if I wasn't on a budget then I wouldn't own a Harley Benton.
I really only bought the bass as I've always fancied upright but never knew how I'd get on with it (primarily EB player).
I'm not overly worried if the strings don't sound awesome as none of my playing will get an airing for a while yet, I just need it in good playable order so I can practise. If I get on with it I will upgrade to whatever suits my needs then, if I don't get on with it a £100 set of strings won't increase the resale value by £100 so I don't want to jump right in just yet.
Less than £20 for 5 string bump set is viable.

Having said that the weedwhackers are a lot better after playing them for week. I am going to give them a light sand as I've got to do the neck as that's a tad grippy as well so they should ok for practicing.