Why become a member? ×

rest strokes vs speed

wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346158191' post='1785888']
I understand, but practicing SA seemed the best way of doing things given that there are certain situations where raking isn't the best answer, and developing equal strength/independence in both fingers (assuming standard 2 finger playing) is vital. Isn't it?
[/quote]

Well Jamerson used only one finger. Granted, he is/was an exception. The ideal thing is to be able to do both SA and raking, and then you have the option of using whichever is appropriate to the particular music being played. Both have their place.

This is interesting; advice taken from other discussions has led me to focus solely on SA. I still rake for the reasons you mention, but the belief was that SA, once mastered, would be better. However that seems an incredibly lofty goal. Even Jaco raked (if that means anything, I listen more to masters such as Jah Wobble than JP).

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346175411' post='1786155']
This is interesting; advice taken from other discussions has led me to focus solely on SA.
[/quote]

The Internet is a big vast place, so naturally you are going to get varied views and opinions. As has been said on numerous occasions it is up to each individual to take on board any information given, then use or omit, according to what works for them, or what the music requires etc.

If you think that SA is the best way, then by all means, stick with it.

I alternate fingers pretty much all the time when playing on one string or ascending or whatever,but when I'm descending
the first note is often raked.Why? Economy of motion. Sometimes alternating fingers isn't the best option.
Alternating fingers is important,and pretty much necessary for speed (unless you use Chuck Rainey's or Bryan Beller's
back and forth technique),but you don't have to be completely reliant on it. If you are playing chugging rock,then
sometimes using one finger works better,but if you are playing some Tower of Power then alternating fingers will work
so much better. Don't get too hung up on being strict with your alternation-learn it,then play however you need too to get
the desired result.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1346177692' post='1786190']
The Internet is a big vast place, so naturally you are going to get varied views and opinions. As has been said on numerous occasions it is up to each individual to take on board any information given, then use or omit, according to what works for them, or what the music requires etc.

If you think that SA is the best way, then by all means, stick with it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I do. Both techniques have their place, same with rest and free strokes. Developing all of this could take your entire practice time alone! So much stuff.SA is great for certain situations, as I said, and it's probably the best way to practice because it, IMO, should eliminate bias toward one finger over the other. But yes in certain situations that ecnomy of motion (and energy) is key.

To make matters more interesting I actually use 3 fingers on my plucking hand, sometimes strict alternation, sometimes raking.

I play classical guitar, so this is pretty natural to me, and to use Doddy's phrase, leads to good economy of motion.

I would not necessarily advocate that everyone use 3 fingers, but try it. I think it is Gary Willis who is an absolute BEAST in this respect - I think he uses 3 fingers, maybe more -youtube him up, and prepare to throw your bass away.