Why become a member? ×

Steampunk Gigs? (Midlands)

Noah Deere

Hi,

The band I am in have played a couple of Steampunk gigs recently, and may be involved in organising a couple of these in the near future (in the midlands).

For future reference (in case we do organise gigs), has anyone else on here played on the Steampunk circuit, or consider themselves to be Steampunk friendly?

I'm really trying to sound out what level of interest there would be before we put our money where our mouth is so to speak :)

Thanks

I've been reading about the whole Steam punk scene recently but my understanding is that although there is a lot of interest in this style very little seems to be happening. I know a few people involved in the Burlesque/alternative scene who are loving the Steam punk style but when i ask them about the scene they know very little.

This is speaking regarding the Leeds/Yorkshire scene anyway. Hope this helps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1345719560' post='1780795']
I've been reading about the whole Steam punk scene recently but my understanding is that although there is a lot of interest in this style very little seems to be happening. I know a few people involved in the Burlesque/alternative scene who are loving the Steam punk style but when i ask them about the scene they know very little.

This is speaking regarding the Leeds/Yorkshire scene anyway. Hope this helps
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, there does seem to be some crossover with Burlesque as you say, I'll look into that further.

Cheers.

I like the asthetics of steampunk but I didn't realise there wasand actual scene as such.

I'm playing at the Great Dorset Steam Fair next weekend - have you ever checked that out? Essentially it's a Glastonbury festival sized collection of steam powered machinery.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1345728828' post='1780961']
I like the asthetics of steampunk but I didn't realise there wasand actual scene as such.

I'm playing at the Great Dorset Steam Fair next weekend - have you ever checked that out? Essentially it's a Glastonbury festival sized collection of steam powered machinery.
[/quote]

Good idea, not heard of it before, I'll have a look, thanks.

Edited by Noah Deere

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1345732196' post='1781022']
I can't imagine many of the GDSF visitors will be into steampunk. In my experience they're more likely to be Fred Dibnah look-alikes. :lol:
[/quote]

I'm now stuck with the image of a field full of Fred allikes, to quote the man himself "I realise that steam engines aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. But they’re what made England great." :)