Why become a member? ×

SWR Marcus Miller Preamp - anybody got one?

JPJ

Howdy folks,

Bit of a narrow question but, does anybody on here own an SWR Marcus Miller preamp?

I'm current using an SM1500 which is a little bit heavy for my ageing back. I love the sound/power of it though and wouldn't really want to compromise too much on that, so I'm thinking about replacing it with the SWR MM Preamp and a lighter weight power amp.

Before I push too far down this road, I'd like some advice from a MM user, hence the question!

i own one of those fella,
i want to use it with the swr 750 power amp but cant afford one just yet.
think the amplite might be the way instead,
i use mine through a tech21 landmark300 which i had first,love this amp.
overall bass tone really improved when i bought swr cabs over hartke.

mark

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1345222389' post='1775246']
Just to give you some options Kev... I have a Warwick Hellborg 1U rackmount preamp that you can borrow. I know it isn't 'exactly' what you want but it might be worth experimenting (I have a power amp to go with it but it isn't one of the uber-light ones).
[/quote]

how is the Hellborg?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345222926' post='1775253']
how is the Hellborg?
[/quote]

Fabulous! I'm sitting noodling through it at the minute (coupled with my pair of DB12's and a 1200w power amp it is 'overkill' for a practice rig but... what the hell ;) ) and it is a great bit of kit but then again so is the TF and unless I can find a very lightweight power amp (ideally 1U), the TF will remain my main amp!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1345223165' post='1775255']
Fabulous! I'm sitting noodling through it at the minute (coupled with my pair of DB12's and a 1200w power amp it is 'overkill' for a practice rig but... what the hell ;) ) and it is a great bit of kit but then again so is the TF and unless I can find a very lightweight power amp (ideally 1U), the TF will remain my main amp!
[/quote] very lightweight... but you don't like class D right? So you want a big transformer in a little box. Might look like this....

Edited by LukeFRC

Peavey used to do a 1U light-weight power amp that wasn't class D; added to which I think it is manufacturers of bass amps building down to a budget which is what I personally think is giving the resultant tone that I don't like with those style of switching amps, I'm 'hoping' that a dedicated power amp may not have been built down to a price and as a result might give me what I want! ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1345222389' post='1775246']
Just to give you some options Kev... I have a Warwick Hellborg 1U rackmount preamp that you can borrow. I know it isn't 'exactly' what you want but it might be worth experimenting (I have a power amp to go with it but it isn't one of the uber-light ones).
[/quote]

Cheers John, sounds like its time for a mini-bash round your place :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1345224257' post='1775270']
Peavey used to do a 1U light-weight power amp that wasn't class D; added to which I think it is manufacturers of bass amps building down to a budget which is what I personally think is giving the resultant tone that I don't like with those style of switching amps, I'm 'hoping' that a dedicated power amp may not have been built down to a price and as a result might give me what I want! ;)
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I've been trolling around the interweb trying to find a decent power amp using this lightweight class D malarky that can put about 900w in 8 ohms 1500w in 4 ohms. Can't believe that there isn't a dedicated mono musical instrument power amp available like this.

If Orange can do a 1000w Terrorbass that is basically their front end in front of a B&O power amp module, surely somebody somewhere will have thought of using a similar amp module to produce a decent mono power amp?

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1345224912' post='1775281']
Cheers John, sounds like its time for a mini-bash round your place :)

I know what you mean. I've been trolling around the interweb trying to find a decent power amp using this lightweight class D malarky that can put about 900w in 8 ohms 1500w in 4 ohms. Can't believe that there isn't a dedicated mono musical instrument power amp available like this.

If Orange can do a 1000w Terrorbass that is basically their front end in front of a B&O power amp module, surely somebody somewhere will have thought of using a similar amp module to produce a decent mono power amp?
[/quote]
I guess most power amps aren't designed to be moved much, unlike musician's amp which have to be cleared on and off stage.

I'm on hols for the next 2 weeks Kev so just give me a shout and I'll stick the kettle on... in fact I had Michael B round just yesterday and we were plonking on with a few things so I have my cabs and various amps set up in the living room! :D

Your also welcome to take the Hellborg away if you want to try it in a band environment.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1345849959' post='1782526']
I would truly love to try that hellborg system with my accugrooves ! I take it you gave the massive power amp too john?
[/quote]

I've got a Hellborg pre and a QSC power amp and even though the QSC is rated @ 1200w (into x2 4 ohm loads) it isn't like you can tear your cones out of their baskets even with it on full... just ensure you don't fully crank the preamp output! :D

If you are visiting family and friends (and can hide the Accugrooves in the boot from SWMBO) and want to give it a blast just let me know. ;)