Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird iv Vs Epiphone Thunderbird Pro iv??

x_Morning_Star_x

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1369841233' post='2093358']
I think the new Epiphone Thunderbird Classic is excellent value for money - I can see little advantage in spending over three times as much for the 'genuine' Gibson. They are very, very close.
However, neither sound like true 'birds to me - the current pickups are very different to the originals. Replace the pickups with some Thunderbuckers and you're in business - something I intend to do to that white Epi when I finally get round to buying it!
[/quote]

I have to admit i have never tried the Gibbo, i myself having fell into the "BASS SNOB" trap many years ago :( as you can see by my previous basses, i will have to go and have a go, just to see the difference. I only went for the Epi because i did buy one of the early ones for £90 lol, just to see how they played and sounded for that kind of money, i was astonished, and impressed enough to go for a new Classic Pro, i did have tho oppertunity to buy a 2000 Gibbo for £650, but went for the Epi instead, mainly i think because i could not justify the outlay. I regret not getting one all those years ago, instead i listened to self professed "experts"

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1369869478' post='2093882']
I own both Gibson Thunderbird (Studio models- IV and V) and Epi TBird (a limited ed. White)
I found them to be entirely different beasts.
I started with the Gibson 5 string because I wanted a 5er and owned only Fenders at the time. The Thunderbird was always on the GAS list, so made sense to kill two 'birds' with one stone-a Studio V.
Got the Studio V and LOVED IT. Then ended up with the IV version in a trade later on-slimmest Gibson neck ever and gorgeous body lines-trimmer, faster-going places!!!. I picked up the white Epi for less than 100quid in another moment of madness.
I found the Gibson's to be far superior in build quality. The necks are nicer and the the pickups have 'that thunderbird sound'
whereas the Epi feels lightweight but still has serious neck dive and the pickups sounded gutless at times (especially on open E) - looks badass though!!! Disappointed, considering that every other Epi I've ever owned was great (maybe mine is more of a quality control failure?)!
I tried the Pro IV in a store a last year and thought it sounded cool, but a tad to bright for my tastes-it's a T'bird - it's meant to make your bones rattle!

Have you considered a second-hand Gibson Studio TBird? - I would get another one in a heartbeat!
Or the shortscale one they did...
[/quote]

The standard Epiphone Thunderbird with the bolt-on neck is very different to the Gibson, but the new-ish Epiphone Classic IV is almost identical.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1369921783' post='2094487']
The standard Epiphone Thunderbird with the bolt-on neck is very different to the Gibson, but the new-ish Epiphone Classic IV is almost identical.
[/quote]

I hadn't heard about these till the other day.
If that's the case, I'd certainly try one-as I said, I'm an Epiphone fan :)

Just remebered, my mate Brian used to have an "Elitist" model around the same time I got my white epi TBird (?-I think that's what he said it was called-chrome pickups and all that). That was an amazing bit of kit. It sounded great-waaayyy better than my Epiphone!

• 2 years later...

Just in the interests of anyone searching for info and coming across this thread (like I just did :) ), I'll add my tuppence worth.

The Classic Pro has a body that's a good bit thicker than the Gibson. Consequently, it's noticeably heavier. The neck is pretty similar to the Gibson. As is the neck of the Epi Blackbird - which is lighter than both.

I only just picked up a Korean Epi bolt-on, which has a very obviously wider nut-width. Doesn't seem as wide as the Tokai TB48 (not measured them yet), but certainly requires a mental adjustment when picking it up after the Gibson.

To be honest, I'm falling out of love with the Classic Pro ... it's just too heavy. A workhorse compared to a racehorse.