Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools upgrade from SE or swap horses?

ras52

Earlier this year I took the DAW plunge and bought an M-Audio Fast Track with Pro Tools SE. So far so (mostly good), but I'm quickly getting frustrated with SE, or possibly not knowing how to do stuff with it as the both documentation and support forum activity are woefully sparse.

I'm just using it for home songwriting demos - I don't want to spend hundreds of hours learning how to be an audio engineer, and I think SE actually does pretty much what I want and has an amenable look and feel. My main frustration is with balancing tracks - each track has a tiny little slider that jumps around at the slightest nudge. So my main requirement is something with a mixing view that gives me nice big sliders. (I know I could attach a hardware control surface an even nicer and tactile experience.)

So the question is, do I "upgrade" to the next version of Pro Tools, or go back to learning-curve square one and jump to another product line? (Upgrade in quotes as there is no upgrade path from SE, one has to buy an upper version outright.)

One thing I'm toying with is exporting material (guide tracks, MIDI keyboard tracks) to take into a studio for finishing off, so I might want to consider whether I'd need to export anything proprietary or just WAV and/or MIDI files. (The local demo studio I've used a couple of times uses Cubase.)

BTW I run on Windows 7 (actually on Ubuntu for everything except Pro Tools!).

Cheers!

Edited by ras52

or you could just hold down the apple button as you move the slider and it moves in far smaller increments... or you could go into the automation view and adjust it with your mouse... or you could use the pencil tool to draw the automation... or... [you get the picture]

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1344707966' post='1768263']
or you could just hold down the apple button as you move the slider and it moves in far smaller increments... or you could go into the automation view and adjust it with your mouse... or you could use the pencil tool to draw the automation... or... [you get the picture]
[/quote]
Boom, BC helps in less than 10 minutes - I <3 BC!

My PC doesn't have an Apple button ;-) but CTRL does the trick and a mouse drag moves the slider in 0.1dB increments - thank you! Ideally I'd be able to use the mouse wheel for this, but I can't find a funky key combination that allows that.

Perhaps one of you nice people can help with another problem re. not being able to record audio files to an external drive, which has had a tumbleweed response from the Avid/DUC board: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325571

Thanks again!