Why become a member? ×

A week of gigging for free

gelfin

Last Saturday was my daughters wedding.
After a few let downs she decided that my band should play at the evening party. The wedding day was great and so was the evening party, we went down well with people up and rocking most of the night. Happy days.
Rest day Sunday to recover. Then as a complete contrast I had agreed to play in my Church's praise band for a daily children's holiday club. I usually sit at the back and operate the AV system.

I have to say that it was the most rewarding time, with over a hundred kids a day (aged from 5 to 12) at the club all having a great time. Just to see them enjoying themselves so much was brilliant. Their joy was payment enough. I thoroughly recommend giving it a try if you have the opportunity.

Careful, you might catch the bug!
I've done holiday clubs for several years to the point where I've become the de facto musical director/band leader. One thing I do try and do is encourage and bring-on new young musicians into the band.
Planning your own exit strategy is crucial in voluntary jobs!
I love playing for children. You get instant, honest feedback.
If the band or the material is rubbish they let you know! None of that slinking off to the bar or shoe-gazing you get with adults.