Why become a member? ×

Active pickups and preamps

Jeverson28

I'm considering replacing the stock pickups/preamp on an Ibanez I'm going to be buying soon and somewhere on YouTube (I know, probably not the best source) I read that Aguilar preamps don't work with EMGs. Apparently it's something to do with the internal preamp inside EMG pickups and Aguilar preamps are only designed for passive pickups.

Now I was wondering if this was true or not? I'd rather not have to spend most of my money to find out and help would be much appreciated!

I was considering putting in a set of EMG 40DCs and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp if this helps.

Thanks in advance!

Details of the OBP-3 here - http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp3-preamp.htm - say it's compatible with most pickups. Towards the bottom of the page it says it's supplied with 250k vol/blend pots 'unless specified for active pickups'. This suggests that it will work with active pickups but that different pots (probably 50k) will be supplied for that. Some comments on Talkbass also indicate that it will work with active pups. If in doubt I'd contact tech support at Aguilar - [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email].

so a pot is short for potentiometer which is more or less a variable resistor. normally in the "off" position the resistance will be infinity* and at the other end it will be open- this will be a resistance - so 25k ohms or 50k ohms or so on.

Different preamps will use different values for different parts- for instance bartolini will use 50k pots on the bass and treble pots, for most preamps though a volume and blend pot are critical as they take the signal before it goes into the preamp. What values you use effect if it will work or not, or how it will sound.
Active pickups like some EMG's or MEC's need power and already have a preamp in them - the signal they output generally needs a 25k pot for volume and blend. Passive pickups give an unbuffered signal and will need typically 250k or 500k volume and blend pots.

Pots alls can have a linear or logarhymic taper on them.... but i'll leave that for another day!

* not actually, but very high

So as the bass I'm getting (I've now bought it, just waiting to collect it) has a Bartolini preamp (with MK1 pickups, which I think are passive) in it I probably won't be able to use the pots supplied with the Aguilar preamp? I'm getting very confused.

I'm going to email tech support and see what they say. I'll post on here the results in case anyone is interested.

Oh and I'm guessing a logarithmic pot will have less effect as the resistance is decreased (ie closer to open position)?

[quote name='Jeverson28' timestamp='1343855539' post='1756521']
So as the bass I'm getting (I've now bought it, just waiting to collect it) has a Bartolini preamp (with MK1 pickups, which I think are passive) in it I probably won't be able to use the pots supplied with the Aguilar preamp? I'm getting very confused.

I'm going to email tech support and see what they say. I'll post on here the results in case anyone is interested.

Oh and I'm guessing a logarithmic pot will have less effect as the resistance is decreased (ie closer to open position)?
[/quote]

log/lin no- the curve of position/resitance won't be straight but curved- as our ears aren't that good at picking up subtle differences to sound. Different set ups prefer different....

according to this http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf you will need 50k lin pots for the preamp. (plus a 500k lin for variable mids if you want)

the EMGs will need a 25k blend and a 25k volume - you may need to ask what type - so If you are lucky you may just need to pick up new volume and blend pots.
Hope this is of some help!

I already have a bass in the same series with the same pups and preamp and I don't like the tone on it particularly. I've done some reading up on it and most people agree the preamp isn't all that great. I'd just like to experiment around with my two basses and see what pups/preamps work best together if that makes sense? I'm not 100% sure which bass I'll be putting the EMGs/preamp in yet though as I haven't heard the new one yet. I guess there's nothing really wrong with the sound, it's just nothing special. Not to my ears anyway...

I got a reply from Aguilar pretty much straight away, this is what they said:
"Hello James,

Thank you for your interest in the OBP-3!

Our preamps are designed to work with any pickup – active OR passive.

The only pots you will have to change are the EQ pots that come with the OBP-3 – you can leave the volume and blend pots that are in the bass.

I hope this is helpful but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
--Marco"

Thanks for all the help guys, I've learnt a lot from all this!

Ahhh right I've done some more research and I see what you're talking about now. EMG pickups need a 25k pot like you said for volume and blend. I'll check the pots I have on my bass when I get home so hopefully I won't have to change them. We shall see... I'm guessing when I order the preamp they will send me the EQ pots that need replacing too? According to EMG the pups need to be wired so that they go to the blend first, then preamp, then master volume and then the jack. Does this sound normal to you?

yeah that reply isn't that helpful! He's presuming you've already got the pups installed.....

You will need a set of volume/blend pots for the EMGs - these will be different to the pots for the passive MK1's -
he seems to say you will need different tone pots. If I were you I would open your bass and see what the current tone pots are - it may be that they are suitable for reuse.

Out of interest, I've heard the MK1's arn't amazing - but is the pre a bart one or something else?

[quote name='Jeverson28' timestamp='1343859607' post='1756619']
Ahhh right I've done some more research and I see what you're talking about now. EMG pickups need a 25k pot like you said for volume and blend. I'll check the pots I have on my bass when I get home so hopefully I won't have to change them. We shall see... I'm guessing when I order the preamp they will send me the EQ pots that need replacing too? According to EMG the pups need to be wired so that they go to the blend first, then preamp, then master volume and then the jack. Does this sound normal to you?
[/quote]

the aguilar diagram on their website had it going blend>volume>pre> that's a more common way of doing it

Ok I'll follow the Aguilar one :) I don't actually know what the pre is... Yeah I'll open it up when I get home tomorrow night and have a look.
This is the bass I'm getting. I've tried to google the pre but all I find is more Ibanez products so perhaps it's an Ibanez pre? Or a cheap bart or something. I don't know sorry!
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=89&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=17"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=89&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=17[/url]

• 8 years later...

I want to swap out my Bartolini Pups that's in my Ibanez BTB 6 string bass( They don't seem to have that ballsy " growl" I'm looking for. I've received suggestions that replacing them with a set of Aguilar DCB -D4 pups may give me what I need. My question: If I make the swap, will the Aguilar pups work with the original pre-amp system already in the bass OR will/should I have to swap out & put a comparable pre amp in as well. Say an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp????

You can keep the original preamp. A bass has a signal route like this:

pickups - blend (or vol) - vol - tone - output

Tone may be pot and a capacitor, or a battery powered preamp. Most of the "active" basses have only battery powered tone tweaking circuitry. Some are more complex. All in all, you can usually mix and match nearly every component. There are exceptions, but on a basic instrument most trials and changes are OK. Low impedance ("active") pickups may need some changes like pots or specialized tone circuitry, sometime they can replace old pickups without any special modifications.

Ask some of your friend who can do decent soldering. Options are numerous.