Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mag300 combo - which speaker?? (original blown!)

Trev69

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a speaker for my Bass combo as the original one (blue line) has blown?

It needs a 4 ohm 300 watt I guess as that's what the amp is.

I was looking at Celestion BL15-300x at £75, but then wondered if it's worth upgrading and getting a BN15-400S at £120??....choices choices......

I've also seen a BN15-400S for £95 but it's 8 ohm and dunno if this will be OK, I guess I'd lose about half the power?

thanks in anticipation,

Trev.

Not sure which driver would be best for you. However, I believe the MAG series combos had 2 speaker outputs,
so if you want to ever use an extension cab then replace the combo speaker with an 8 ohm one-that way you can add an
extension cab (also 8 ohms) to get the full power from the amp (which will then be into 4 ohms total)
If you'll never do the extension cab thing, then replace your blown speaker with a 4 ohm one - these are often a bit harder
to find though, and the difference in output from your combo with a 4 ohm speaker against an 8 ohm one may not sound that much.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1343760242' post='1754848']
Not sure which driver would be best for you. However, I believe the MAG series combos had 2 speaker outputs,
so if you want to ever use an extension cab then replace the combo speaker with an 8 ohm one-that way you can add an
extension cab (also 8 ohms) to get the full power from the amp (which will then be into 4 ohms total)
If you'll never do the extension cab thing, then replace your blown speaker with a 4 ohm one - these are often a bit harder
to find though, and the difference in output from your combo with a 4 ohm speaker against an 8 ohm one may not sound that much.
[/quote]Yeah, it does have 2 speaker outputs so that sounds like a plan, I'm only just getting my heed round this ohms business, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause any more damage by buying an 8 ohm.
thanks for the reply.

Can't go wrong with a Fane Sovereign 15" 250 Watt 8 ohm, it's like for like on spec to the OEM Ashdown speaker, can pick them up for about £50
[url="http://www.fane-acoustics.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=201"]http://www.fane-acou...ls.aspx?pid=201[/url]

Edited by chapsimon

I had to replace mine a couple of years ago. I got a Celstion BL-15 250watt 8 ohm speaker. It cost about £50 IIR.

As Jack said, the original speaker is 8 ohms not 4, and as casapete said there really wont be much (if any) difference in volume, but you will limit your options for adding another cab.