Why become a member? ×

NBD Warwick Rockbass Corvette

Mornats

Got this one off Mzungu71 (cheers!) who got it off Waynepunkdude so it's doing the BC rounds (but may be a long time until I replace it!). Had a little noodle on it and love it. Nice growly jazz sounds with something a bit different and more aggressive in there which I really like. Beautiful to play which was a surprise as the neck's thicker than all of my others.

I'll get some pics up but if Wayne doesn't mind I'll link to his original for sale thread with his pic on it (so no, I don't have that nice Ampeg SVT in my house...): [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171750-warwick-rock-bass-corvette/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171750-warwick-rock-bass-corvette/[/url]

I'll be band-practicing it on Weds and recording with it tonight.

So, why did I get it when I've got 4 basses already? Well I love my Overwater, it's my main bass by far. I love the growly jazz sound of my Bass Collection 5 string but just can't get on with 5 strings so wanted to replace it with something that had a similar sound and I've always fancied a Warwick and these Rockbasses aren't far off the German made ones so I've heard. So I'll be selling my SB315 soon on here. I actually plan to go down to 2 basses so my gorgeous trans-red Bass Collection SB320 fretless (with Barts on it I believe) will also be up for sale and possibly my cheapo (but very very playable) Dean Hillsboro. So I'll then be left with my budget-range Overwater and Warwick. Can't argue with that!

The thing I noticed about this particular bass (I bought it from then sold it back to Wayne) is the ludicrous amount of sustain it has. I swear if you pluck the E string and just let it ring out it'll keep going for a week or more :)

It's a belting bass. I just couldn't get on with the chunky neck, gave my hand cramp.

Yeah, the sustain is really nice. As one of its former owners you wouldn't happen to know what the string gauge is/was? It's a heavier gauge than the .38 - .98 on my Overwater but I do like it. Just as easy to play as the lighter gauge and more thump to it. I may even put the heavier gauge on my Overwater but I'll wait until I can afford a new setup for it at the same time.

I wasn't sure about the chunkiness of the neck before I bought it but it's quite nice. The neck width is nice and small (like my Bass Collections actually) but the extra thickness just really helps give it a solid feel. And this is from a guy who adores thin necks.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1343687711' post='1753845']
Yeah, the sustain is really nice. [b]As one of its former owners you wouldn't happen to know what the string gauge is/was[/b]? It's a heavier gauge than the .38 - .98 on my Overwater but I do like it. Just as easy to play as the lighter gauge and more thump to it. I may even put the heavier gauge on my Overwater but I'll wait until I can afford a new setup for it at the same time.

I wasn't sure about the chunkiness of the neck before I bought it but it's quite nice. The neck width is nice and small (like my Bass Collections actually) but the extra thickness just really helps give it a solid feel. And this is from a guy who adores thin necks.
[/quote]

If the ball end of the strings are colour coded then they'll be Fender 7150ML Pure Nickel Roundwounds. Gauge 100, 80, 65, 45. I think :)

Cheers guys, yep they're colour-coded so must be the Fenders on there. Now I wonder if the Bass Boomers would add a little brightness and some mid-range growl to them. My Bass Collection SB315 has them on and sounds awesome, very Geddy Lee like (if you've heard their latest album). Not sure if that's more to do with the SGC Nanyo pickups or the strings. Guess I'll give them a go at the very least.

Definitely 105 on the E string, it's thicker than the 100 on my 5 string.

Chucked a brand new set of .45 - .105 GHS Bass Boomers on it and wow, does it growl! A bit clangy but that's brand new strings for ya and these will mellow out soon anyway. So, I took it to band practice last night and absolutely loved playing it. The sound was spot on, playability was spot on and it was just a joy! It's got that very nice aggressive jazz sound that I wanted. Now to sell my Bass Collections and Dean...

• 4 weeks later...

[attachment=116923:bass-rig.jpg]

Here's the bass, leaning against my Ashdown touring rig.

And I've also got a recording of it. The levels and mix on this one aren't finalised yet but you can hear the bass at the beginning quite well. It's got a nice deep growl to it which I like. It's going through Ampeg SVX (the B15 valve amp I think).

[url="http://soundcloud.com/whisky-river/badly-parked-cars"]http://soundcloud.com/whisky-river/badly-parked-cars[/url]