Why become a member? ×

Ring modulators

vegas_hooker

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='19307' date='Jun 17 2007, 09:11 PM']Maybe thinking of getting some weird odds and sods for pedals. Thought a ring modulator would be a good place to start.

Any one have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Depending on the depth of your pockets, I've heard good reports about the Mutron and Crowther's Prunes & Custard.

Hamster

Big respect to the MuTron! I used to have an original 70s one: amazing device. Turns any instrument into an instant funk machine. Wanna hear one? Go listen to the opening of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground". That iconic opening riff is not a Moog synth: it's a plain old clavinet that's been MuTron'd.

If you're using it for a bass, I'd suggest getting/making a low-pass/high-pass filter to split the signal into two frequency bands, and using the MuTron on the high-frequency end only. Otherwise it can squish out your bottom end - and nobody like a squished out bottom end! :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='19456' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:21 AM']Depending on the depth of your pockets, I've heard good reports about the Mutron and Crowther's Prunes & Custard.

Hamster[/quote]

In terms of weird odds and sods these are both good pedal to try out. The Mutron is amazing and the P+C is very fun, neither are a ring mod.

The best ringmod out there, IME, is the Frostwave Blueringer... the Mooger is also excellent, especially with an CV pedal.

• 6 years later...

Ring Mods are certainly 'weird'... Can be pretty tricky to use musically without a lot of tweaking!

Just started using the Prunes and Custard - very usable pedal. It's very different, but works well as a distortion/fuzz in the mix.