Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ordering a new fretless StingRay

cloudburst

I'm thinking of ordering a new fretless StingRay.
Will go for 4H without piezo.

Wondering what the current colour options are and if there are any current special editions available to order?
Right now I'm swaying towards the same colour as my Bongo which would be Sapphire Black with matching headstock and pearloid scratch plate.

Wondering also if any of you know how long it will take and perhaps recommend one of the Glasgow shops to order through.

Thanks,
CB

Its roughly 4-5 months for a new build now. If you are ready to jump, do it asap as the prices are going up very soon!

I got a 'rough' stock list of what they have available in the UK a few weeks back, and they had two Natural lined fretless Stingray 4 3EQ basses in. One H, one HS.

Are you going lined or blank?

My ray order took 9 months. That was a looong wait - more than double what I was told. Apparently I'd just got unlucky with the timing of the shipments. But for a £1500 order I reckon they could have got it to me a lot faster. That said, no complaints about the bass itself.

Interesting comment - my fretless Ray has no deadspots whatsoever - oh and before anyone asks, the G string has far more mwah and volume than any fretless Fender Jazz I've ever played. It certainly has its sweet spots, however.

You can get the colour specs on the Musicman web site (you can prob have any Stingray colour, and also a matching headstock if you want it). You can find a dealer nearest to where you want on the Musicman-uk website (you can also look at the stock they have on there).

I have found having the 3 band EQ can be quite useful as boosting the mid range can be helpful in some mixes/songs, especially harmonics.

I may have been lucky (dependent on your viewpoint) with my orders for new Musicman basses - they arrived earlier than planned (2 - 4 months) - in my case this meant finding the remainder of the funds earlier than planned.............

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1343767265' post='1755009']
@MM20 - it's an unlined I'd be looking for. And 3 band eq. And bloody hell 9 months? I've seen a civil servant sign a form quicker!

CB
[/quote]

It should be 3-5. 4 is usual. I waited a long time for a Ray HH because the dealer didnt order it straight away...but I finally got it through GAK and it is SUPERB.