Why become a member? ×

Suppose i had better say hello!

Rammstein2012

Hello.
Right...where to start...

Well, i have been playing bass for a little over a year now, having never touched one before.
I had a bit of a nasty motorbike crash a few years ago and it made a bit of a mess of the nerves in my arms and neck, and playing a 6 string guitar (as i did at that time) was just impossible. My fingers could not form the complex chord shapes anymore and i got shut of all my gear.
Then one day just over a year ago i was walking past a guitar shop in Manchester and popped in for a nosey, and saw a les paul bass (epi) in trans black and it just looked kinda cool. so i bought it, and a small combo.
That was the hook. I just couldn't put it down.
Once i was happy that i was comfortable playing a bass (and got a bit better) i went out and got a musicman stingray 4 string, 3 eq in a natural finish, and an even bigger combo.
Then, i got a Fender Jazz in a lovely sun burst, and another Jazz in a natural finish with black block inlays on the fretboard. And got a combo that was even bigger than the other one. Again.
I'm not in a band or anything, and i don't want to be. i just play for my own amusement, and sometimes annoyance.
I'm really into rock music and my top band without a doubt is Jethro Tull. I spend far too much time trying to figure out the bass lines of John Glasscock. But, i did manage to crack Heavy Horses, Songs from the wood and Hunting girl. Wohoo!! Dark Ages eludes me though, thats a complete ba****d. one day.

Hey Rammstein,

Welcome to BC. John Glascock was good, wasn't he? I've also always loved his incredibly recognisable tone. Those three songs are surely a worthy start, and they're amongst my goals as a noob, especially HH and SftW. SftW must be one of their best songs.

Enjoy the site!

Best,
Bert

Edited by BassTractor

Anyone who appreciates Glascock's playing is OK in my book and kudos to you for learning some of his lines. I've been looking for a good transcription of Dark Ages for, well, *ages* so if you ever get it sorted feel free to share on here!

Hey Kev,
I'm trying my best with Dark Ages, but there is a lot going on in that song. When all of the other instruments kick in i really struggle to hear the bass lines clearly. I'll get there eventually though. I had a look online for tull tabs and to be honest, everyone that i looked at was wrong.
I managed to get SFTW note perfect, but it was a labour of love. Hunting Girl wasn't too bad and Heavy Horses drove me bonkers but i eventually got it. I have a Stingray...now all i need is a barn and i'm sorted.