Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Fretless / home-made relic job

BassPimp66

After a bit of research on the web, I have decided to relic my Jazz Bass Fretless.
The motivation was that the pickguard had been somewhat abused with a pick by the previous owner and I did not want a brand new pickguard on it.
So, I removed the scratches and the shiny finish on the pickguard and gave it a matt, slightly stained finish (coffee + wood oil colouring).
The chrome hardware on this MIJ model always felt kinda cheap (but working perfectly), so I stained the chrome with acid fumes.
I am very happy with the overall result. Let me know what you think.

---

---

---

---

---

---

Edited by BassPimp66

I have never seen a pickguard age like that naturally - vinyl ones usually just stay the same colour and pick up pick marks. Also chrome doesn't usually age like that - the chrome hardware on my basses including a well-used 1981 fender is as bright as the chrome on my newest bass. Nickel plated tuners often develop a dull patina though, but that would look very different to what you have done.

As it does not emulate natural aging I wouldn't call it a relic.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1342869003' post='1742059']
I have never seen a pickguard age like that naturally - vinyl ones usually just stay the same colour and pick up pick marks. Also chrome doesn't usually age like that - the chrome hardware on my basses including a well-used 1981 fender is as bright as the chrome on my newest bass. Nickel plated tuners often develop a dull patina though, but that would look very different to what you have done.

As it does not emulate natural aging I wouldn't call it a relic.
[/quote]

OK, OK, I will try with more acid and more rubbin :rolleyes:

Best way to relic an instrument is to practice many hours a day and play every gig you can. 20+ years of that will make even the toughest poly finish start to look a bit second hand, plus you'll have the chops and experience to match your instrument ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2lza1Rb0U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2lza1Rb0U[/url]

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1342871867' post='1742120']
Best way to relic an instrument is to practice many hours a day and play every gig you can. 20+ years of that will make even the toughest poly finish start to look a bit second hand, plus you'll have the chops and experience to match your instrument ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2lza1Rb0U[/media]
[/quote]

I didn't know SUPER MARIO was a bass player... Is LUIGI on drums?

Following on from Hutton's comment: there is perhaps something a little disingenuous regarding relicing. At its heart we are try to make out that a bass is much older than it is; and possibly also that we have played it so much that the wear is a result of our gigging/rehearsing, wearing our musical credentials on our sleeve or instrument as it were. Of course the distressed look is fashionable too, and has been for some time in many walks of life. There is perhaps something about wanting to get to the destination without travelling the journey though..... think of stone washed pre faded jeans. I can't help but think that the promise oldness provides is an illusion. We often feel good about wearing our old comfortable clothes, because they feel part of us. But I wonder if we perhaps fool ourselves into thinking that a Roadworn Fender or a Nash is going to feel like an old friend from the word go? Its an interesting area of discussion and perhaps easy to see why thinking regarding relicing is often so polarised? Be interested to know others thoughts. (Hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much)

I hear you Paul. There's something fake about aging artificially an instrument.
This being said, some people like to add a sticker to their bass, some people prefer gold hardware (which I cannot comprehend) as esthetic choices.
The customization process takes many routes. This Jazz Bass came with battle scars from the previous owner that I did not like.
So, rather than getting new hardware or trying to make it look newer, I went the other way and I aged it slitghly. I went very easy on the aging just to blend in traces of the previous owner.
It is not intended to make it my 20 year-something axe. But, I have made is somewhat more personal and to my taste now.

Now I've seen the pics, what you have done seems to have gone to plan and been done well. However the problem is that the ensemble doesn't quite look right. You've got some ancient looking hardware (I have an '80 G&L with fresher looking hardware) on a spanking new bass. IMHO this odd disparity knackers it's looks. Rather than give it the appearers of long time usage, it makes it look like something has gone wrong in it's short life... flood damage or something, you know what I mean. :)
2 possibilities lay ahead. Chalk it up and replace the aged hardware with new, this will be relatively inexpensive and will allow the bass to retain it's original value. I'm guessing however that personal taste (and perhaps a tinge of pride :) ) may steer you away from this route. Second choice, continue with the ageing process and extend it to the wood finish too. You might get lucky and end up with a beautifully complete relic project... or as happens in the majority of cases it could go horribly wrong, look like shyte and considerably devalue it. Look up similar projects and try and recreate the best ones - Bravewood for example.

I agree the hardware and the body finish do not really match :( .
But, thus far everything is reversible. I can always throw a new bridge/pot plate and tunigs pegs, and the bass is back to new.
I'm not tempted to do something irreversible on the varnish or the neck... coz, if it fails, I AM SCREWED.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1342986230' post='1743526']
I agree the hardware and the body finish do not really match :( .
But, thus far everything is reversible. I can always throw a new bridge/pot plate and tunigs pegs, and the bass is back to new.
I'm not tempted to do something irreversible on the varnish or the neck... coz, if it fails, I AM SCREWED.
[/quote]

Good call. :)

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1342957237' post='1743088']
Following on from Hutton's comment: there is perhaps something a little disingenuous regarding relicing. At its heart we are try to make out that a bass is much older than it is; and possibly also that we have played it so much that the wear is a result of our gigging/rehearsing, wearing our musical credentials on our sleeve or instrument as it were. Of course the distressed look is fashionable too, and has been for some time in many walks of life. There is perhaps something about wanting to get to the destination without travelling the journey though..... think of stone washed pre faded jeans. I can't help but think that the promise oldness provides is an illusion. We often feel good about wearing our old comfortable clothes, because they feel part of us. But I wonder if we perhaps fool ourselves into thinking that a Roadworn Fender or a Nash is going to feel like an old friend from the word go? Its an interesting area of discussion and perhaps easy to see why thinking regarding relicing is often so polarised? Be interested to know others thoughts. (Hope I haven't hijacked this thread too much)
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. I couldn't agree more.

However, I always maintain that an owner can do whatever they like with their instrument so, that being the case, if relicing is the route then the advice of Rich (Ou7shined) and your own sensible approach should give you a good result.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1342871867' post='1742120']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2lza1Rb0U[/media]
[/quote]What an awful sounding bass. I guess the pick doesn't help.